Chef's Choice 100W Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, White

Chef's Choice 100W Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, WhiteI've been using the Chef's Choice for years now. I still use the one I bought in 1992 almost daily. My knives are still in wonderful shape and hold their edges beautifully.

The guesswork has been taken out of knife sharpening with this machine. I'm only so-so with a steel and in any case, a steel can't do the three stage sharpening that the Chef's Choice does. Since it holds the knife at the perfect angle for each step, it makes it easy for the fumble-fingered (like me) to create a perfect edge every time!

I'm buying one for my daughter now, mine is in perfect condition after more than 10 years and I imagine it will be for years to come yet!

I paid over 100 dollars for this very sharpener back then, which was a LOT of money at the time. They've come down so far in price that you haven't any excuse not to get one now!

I've had one of these sharpeners for several years, and I have to echo another reviewer's comments: This tool is fine for average household knives, but if you know the difference between a sharp knife and a SHARP knife, you won't want to use this on your good cutlery.

I was raised by a knife afficianado, and learned knife sharpening the old-fashioned way (with natural and diamond stones, steels and careful technique). The results with this unit don't hold a candle to a knife sharpened the "right" way. As mentioned by others here, the edge left by the Chef's Choice is pretty rough when compared to a razor-sharp edge, although it IS useful for utility knives or re-setting the edge angles on an abused knife.

I've used this tool to good results "fixing" other peoples' knives -you know the kind -the ones that have been loose in the gadget drawer for 20 years, used for everything from hacking through frozen meat to tightening screws, and have never been sharpened. That said, I'd never let my Henckels, Wustofs, ot Forschners get close to this thing.

It's a fast way to repair abused knives and get things started towards sharpness, but by no means does it produce what I'd consider a "final" edge.

Buy Chef's Choice 100W Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, White Now

I salivated over getting a Chef's Choice electric sharpener for at least 10 years and I am glad I did not take the plunge. I was at my sister's home on Saturday and tested her Chef's Choice sharpener. I can only say that I would never ever let this machine get close to my expensive kitchen knives. This machine, in my opinion, is designed for the vast majority of folks, who have not a clue what a razor-sharp knife is or how to keep it razor-sharp using just a steel. This sharpener may be okay for sharpening mediocre knives but it's a definite no-no for fine cutlery. Let me list the problems with this sharpener:

1. It will ruin your expensive Henckel's or Wusthof's finish. It grinds a highly conspicuous 1/8" to 1/4" wide set of bevels measured from the knife edge, using the rough diamond wheels, leaving very rough marks behind. The results are so ugly, you'll swear at yourself for being so stupid for testing your fine knives on this machine. The diamond wheels are coarse and rough. Gone will be the once beautiful satin/mirror finish on your knife's original edge.

2. Even with the 2nd stage fine-grit hone, the resulting knife edge is still VERY rough by my standards. Again, you will have to know what a truly razor-sharp knife is in order to put this into perspective. If you are one of the vast majority of folks who do not know what is a razor sharp knife, then you'll likely be very satisfied with the result that the Chef's Choice can give you. But once you know what razor-edged sharp cutlery is, you'll never let this machine touch your knives again.

Keeping knives sharp is no magic. First you need to treat your knives well by not letting the fragile sharp edge touch hard objects such as dinner plates, tile or stone countertop, silverware, kitchen sink, dish washer rack, etc. Learn to handwash your sharp knives. Use your knives only on a cutting board. Then learn to keep your knives razor sharp by using a steel on a regular basis. If you really need help, then a diamond-embedded honing steel followed by using a regular steel is still a much better solution to restoring a very dull edge than using a Chef's Choice.

Bottomline is this is basically just a glorified bench grinder on the countertop. Your choice to purchase it or not will depend on your need and your knife collection. For dirt-cheap knives that are sold at supermarkets or on TV, the machine may be a godsend. For fine cutlery, avoid it entirely.

Read Best Reviews of Chef's Choice 100W Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, White Here

I also have to echo the comments of other reviewers when saying if you have inexpensive, common cutlery this sharpener will work OK. If you have Chef's Quality cutlery don't bring it near this machine. It leaves a rough edge no matter which stone you use and simply isn't meant for good quality knives. If you paid a couple of hundred dollars or more for your set of kitchen knives, get them professionally sharpened. If you have run-of-the-mill cutlery this machine will do OK.

Want Chef's Choice 100W Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, White Discount?

Chef's Choice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener, White

I bought this product 10 years ago for about $80 just so I could try to recondition my fading knife collection (mostly Forschner and an odd Henckel, Chicago Cutlery and it like). I was afraid that I would have to buy all new knives.

I didn't I am still using the same knives (and have one or two new ones in my knife drawer). Follow the directions and take your time. You can, after practicing, get your knives to slice paper, and that is certainly sharp by anyone's definition.

The directions could be easier to understand. Read them several times.Then read them some more. Sharpening does take patience and time. And you didn't learn to tie your shoelaces or ride a bike the first try either! For all you whiny-hinies who complained about 1/4 inch gouges and the like, I can only shake my head and wonder if you were holding the knife backwards or upside down...

For all of you who mentioned your "expensive cutlery" and it's "fine finish", I can safely assume that you don't understand why your $249 stock pot doesn't make fine soups automatically, etc., etc.

Save 27% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment