Lamson & Goodnow 10111 8-Inch KnifeSafe

Lamson & Goodnow 10111 8-Inch KnifeSafeOh man these are great. I have them in different sizes for every kitchen knife I have. They're easy to get knives in and out of, and are excellent protection for both the knives and your fingers.

The best part of using them is that they give you options: I don't like knife blocks or trays, because they don't always fit your knives. Wall magnets are neat but a little dangerous, and you can't really bring them with you. By contrast, these protectors let you keep your knives in a drawer, a knife bag (my preference), even on the counter! Great for traveling too.

I bought an 8" Shun Chef's knife last christmas, and I did not have a place on my existing knife block for it. The darn knife was so sharp that I was afraid that I would hurt myself, and I really didn't want my expensive knife bumping around in a drawer. So, I got this thing, reccomended in an Altob Brown kitchen equipment book, and it's been a really good storage device.

I haven't had a problem with it leaving stains on my knife, but it doesn't have a mirror finish to begin with to mess up. I like how it really protects the tip and cutting edge from bumping anything while in a drawer.

Buy Lamson & Goodnow 10111 8-Inch KnifeSafe Now

The sheath is designed for transporting the knife or longterm storage, not for quick access. The clamp and the rubber grips do a good job of securing the knife in place; the blade cannot be released without undoing the two safety clamps.

However, what really annoyed me was that the rubber grips left some kind of oily residue on the blade. At first I couldnt manage to remove the oil stains with endless scrubbing and detergents but they eventually went away after several weeks of use. My guess is that the oil is natural but natural or not, it leaves a hideous streak. So if you really covet the look of your knives, make sure you cover the knife in cellophane wrap before inserting it in the sheath.

Instead of this item, I would recommend the cheaper knife guard, which is just a folded bar of plastic in which you insert the blade. Its a simple design but an elegant solution.

I regret getting this item. its kind of overkill and the rubberoil stains were damn annoying.

Read Best Reviews of Lamson & Goodnow 10111 8-Inch KnifeSafe Here

10 inch worked well for my knife

8 inch didn't fit my Kramer chef's knife. Be sure to check dimensions before ordering.

Want Lamson & Goodnow 10111 8-Inch KnifeSafe Discount?

It fits my Wusthof Ikon Classic 8", and protects its blade. It's like a plastic sandwich with rubber inserts to keep the blade in the center and secure. You do need to be careful inserting the knife. The first time I put my blade into it the plastic clips at the bottom that secure it in the closed position nicked my cutting edge quite hard. I know it's plastic yada-yada and likely didnt' harm the edge, but you need to align the blade consciously.

0 comments:

Post a Comment