J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set

J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku SetGreat knives for the price of popular Henckels brand. Made with German steel and fabricated in China. I was surprised for the low price for this pair until I received them which is thinner than what I expected. I love this design where the blades have hollow spots which create air gaps, this make it easier to slice solid foods like cheese and hams. They do not stick as much as straight smooth steel blades. The 3-rivet hilt feels solid, smooth, and nicely detailed. Sharp.

(The word Santoku refers to a general-purpose knife that originated from Japan. It is a chef knife primarily used for dicing, slicing, and mincing; designed with the weights of the blade and the handle to be equally balanced.)

I bought these at Target (for a few dollars more) just to see what they were like. I didn't expect much from knives that cost about $11 each. I was very happy with the result as the knives are well constructed, reasonably well balanced and cut well. These are stamped knives (not forged) and are thinner because of it, but they are not flimsy. The larger of the two was not as razor sharp as I would have liked but that was corrected by a couple of passes with a hand-held pull through sharpener (These typically sell for for about $10 and I would suggest you get one). Honestly, I think these knives are fine for "the rest of us." Will they last 50 years?? Probably not. Will they last many, many years...probably yes. With that said, do take proper care of them. I like to HAND wash my prep knives after I use them. I try to not let food dry on them and I never soak them overnight. Lastly, I never put any knife (with the exception of tableware) in the dishwasher. I know people do, but dishwashers seem to ruin my knives.

I have friends who have showplace kitchens with commercial ranges and top flight gadgets. Typically they use their kitchens to reheat Chinese carryout as they are working so many hours. My mother had some mismatched (and beat up) pots and pans, 2 ancient knives of dubious quality and an old Sunbeam mixer and she was a renown cook among family, friends and neighbors. Her secret was not in the equipment, it was in the effort, practice and skill. A $100 knife will certainly outshine these but they are vastly better than what my mom used. I think she would have been thrilled to have such a luxurious set!

Buy J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set Now

This is not a bad knife set but we prefer the Victorinox 47529 Fibrox 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knifethe Fibrox handle feels better and the inner corner of the Victorinox knife blade (the heel/ finger guard) curves away from the handle rather than towards it. My mother cut her thumb on this and it often pokes my hand uncomfortably.

Read Best Reviews of J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set Here

To call me an amateur chef would be an insult to amateurs, so I didn't want to spend a lot on knives. Getting two Santoku knives for $20 seemed like a great deal for Henckels (even the ones made in China), so I bought them. I use the 5" knife pretty much everyday and I do not have a single bad thing to say about its performance. It slices through everything from meat to bread to veggies with ease. The only negative I have had with these knives is the blade was a little off center when they arrived, but a couple quick passes with the sharpener and that was remedied.

Want J.A. Henckels International Fine Edge Pro 2-Piece Hollow Edge Santoku Set Discount?

I have used this set since Jan.'08 and am very satisfied. I like the thiness of the blades for slicing meat for Jerky. Requires constant re-sharpening with ceramic diamond rod or a few passes on the Furi diamond "Finger" thing. Made in China of German steel, stamped not forged.

Save 53% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment