Shun DM0500W 8-Inch Ken Onion Chef's Knife

Shun DM0500W 8-Inch Ken Onion Chef's KnifeI'd had my eye on this knife for a while. The minute it went on sale I bought it. It is now, by far, my favorite knife, so much so that I went back and bought the 6". It fits the hand better than any I've ever used and it cuts well, like butta.

This knife is wonderfully sharp! It really feels great in the hand too. I had always wanted quality knives and finally too the plunge over the Holidays when I was able to purchase these knives as a "lightning deal" and saved alot of money. Even still at full price I would be very happy with them. They make me want to cook more at home to because they are such a delight to use. The only down side I thought was that the end of the blade where it goes into the handle is so wide that it won't fit in most knife blocks. In fact I have regular Shun classics that I also purchased and the Ken Onion series won't fit in that knife block either, not a big deal really I just leave it in the sleeve it came with untill I'm ready to use it. Eventually I will get a magnetic knife holder and stick it to the wall or something.

Buy Shun DM0500W 8-Inch Ken Onion Chef's Knife Now

My wife and I are loyal Shun knife users. That is a disclosure of bias. We were converted to Japanese steel and design via Shun. I had always owned excellent German knives, with their heavier, traditional designs--different--but neither demonstrably better or worse overall than Japanese knives. Clearly both are used by professionals. We simply changed our preference to Shun. My wife has small hands and was less comfortable than I was in terms of the build, weight and balance of our German knives. We both love the simplicity and ease of use of lighter, possibly somewhat sharper, Japanese knives. (That itself is a contentious issue but overgeneralizing is too easy to do). One of her favorites, a combination of Eastern and Western influences, is a Shun DM0707 Classic 10-Inch Chef's Knife. The corresponding traditional German knife is too heavy for her. This is basically about one's personal taste. I do not think it can be otherwise. It might take a trial and error process to find what you like best as it was for us. You probably know what both nations' alternatives offer in their distinct advantages. Sometimes the two traditions are combined like Ken Onions's designs. I will discuss our first Ken Onion designed knife for Shun in this light.

Shun knives are costly but we employ them so frequently and truly enjoy using them that they have proven to be good value--to us. We also see them as tools with a job to do. That can be done better or worse according to each individual. Having preferences, even strong presences is not a problem; just find out what works best for you. We try to judge them in both their handling and in food preparation results.

This 8-inch Ken Onion Chef's knife is a very different design both in the handle and blade--radically different--from Shun's Classic and Premier lines as examples. You pay a premium for the difference in his design. Depending upon the specific technique(s) you are used to or were taught, this knife, and how & where you are used to holding and using it, you will likely have a strong opinion about this one. Slicing and dicing with it can be fast and efficient. That is best if you feel comfortable and know how to efficiently direct your force. What is most fundamental for me is that we might differ about just how comfortable or effective it is to hold this knife but it certainly can function well. It should or at least could, offer most of us the control we want. A professional would do wonders with it although that is not a relevant point. We must match as best as possible our own limited level of technique with an array of very fine knives. Unfortunately, ultimately one needs to actually use it. No doubt there is a suggested technique encouraged for this line of knives but that does not guarantee if it will be personally compatible or preferable for you. The single biggest advantage to me is that left handed users can have equal access to this design compared to choosing either of the two versions, left and right, of specialized "D" handle knives available for their regular lines. If your household has both left and right-handed persons in the kitchen this could be a crucial factor.

Initially it took a while to adapt to the Shuns and so it could simply take more time to adapt in reverse to the Ken Onion design. The differences in the handle should be obvious but if you are new to these knives please note the very thick, and prominent bolster on this knife. Compare that to Shun Classic 10-inch Chef's knife which lacks this feature except where it meets the handle. The blade and especially the heel are quite different from Shun's other knives. In practical terms the Ken Onion bolster offers quite a different feel if you usually like to hold that part of the blade. Of course it will have an effect over time when sharpening and at least for me, not a good one. I do not miss a Western bolster when easily sharpening Shun knives at the heel. Of course a prominent bolster like this is clearly a Western convention that you may already use daily. But in the meantime, I prefer the Shun style of knives that I have grown accustomed to already. Since I disclosed from the start that I already chose to leave my German style knives I prefer classic Shun Japanese knives' weight, straight handle and blade. Conversely, if you love German knives but want to try Shun steel, here you have it. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Ken Onion's design and indeed, he has purposely redesigned his line as a Westerner using this fine steel. The right thing to do would be to report back later if this largely subjective evaluation changes. It is a reasonably well balanced knife with the sharpness I know and appreciate, with the same hard clad steel, just rendered in a different shape with new emphases for Shun. The sculptured forms of wood and metal are relatively thicker and/or more undulating. They combine in delivering something new in appearance and relatively unfamiliar.

Ken Onion knife is yet another example of a variation of Western design using Japanese materials. There is obviously a market. To some this design might offer the best of both traditions. Certainly others have experimented with exactly that both in Japan and Europe many times before with which you can compare. So far, I can mainly appreciate its potential but I do not deny its quality. I deducted one star for my individual, hands on experience.

Read Best Reviews of Shun DM0500W 8-Inch Ken Onion Chef's Knife Here

Bought this knife for my son who is a chef for father's day. He likes it very much and particularly the way you can positiion your fingers and fhumb on the handle when using it. He says it's very comfortable.

Want Shun DM0500W 8-Inch Ken Onion Chef's Knife Discount?

I have several sizes of the Shun Ken Onion knife. I have several other brands of very nice knives,but I choose these first, every time.

Save 43% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment