J.A. Henckels 17-1/2-Inch Magna Bar, Black

J.A. Henckels 17-1/2-Inch Magna Bar, BlackThis product was a major disappointment. The magnetic strip itself is excellent, but it's built around a very flimsy plastic framework with plastic ends that mount on the wall.

The problem is that the plastic frame very quickly warps with the force required to remove the knives from the strong magnets, creating a rocking motion that helps work the hardware out of the wall.

Now I have a couple of big holes in my wall, and I need to replace this product before it falls apart. I'm very disappointed.

.to wish you had a better way of keeping your kitchen scalpels organized.

Seriously, I thought this bar would be just the thing to help me organize my too-small kitchen which is always strewn with knives, bottle openers, spatulae, whisks, and other kitchen implements. I also wanted something to keep my sharp knives away from my hands so that I could reach for things on the counter without worrying about stabbing myself.

This magnetic strip fits the bill perfectly. I was worried at first that it wouldn't be a strong enough magnet to hold my chef's knife, but it is. The knife is held very securely and forms a tight magnetic "seal" that breaks when you twist the knife away from it. If you bump the knife, it just rotates on the magnet you'd have to be a real klutz to whack it hard enough to knock it off by accident. ...

I was also worried that the metal magnet would nick my knife edges. That's not a problem as long as you're careful how you put the knife on (back edge first).

I recommend this product without any reservations!

Buy J.A. Henckels 17-1/2-Inch Magna Bar, Black Now

I live in an apartment with a tiny, galley-style kitchen. I have next to NO counter space. I was fed up with having the small piece of counter next to my stove filled up with a spice rack AND a knife rack AND a utensils jar.

I found the Henckel's magnabar here on amazon and gave it a try. Now I am not your Miss Fix-It type so maybe others would not have this problem, but I found it awkward to mount this thing on the wall next to my stove. The end caps of the bar, which you use to set the screws in, and the top and bottom edging of the bar are plastic and rather flimsy. By the time I got the bar up and stable, one edge of the magnabar had bent/come loose. After sinking the screws into my wall, I didn't want to stop and return it, so I just put the "bad side" back toward the corner where it won't be as noticeable.

I do really enjoy having more counter space and all the knives lined up on the bar looks great, but I have to admit I expected a higher quality product from Henckels.

Read Best Reviews of J.A. Henckels 17-1/2-Inch Magna Bar, Black Here

I used this magnet for 7 years and found it to be an excellent home for my quality knives. Take note--it is a *strong* magnet with a powerful grip, and this is a double-edged knife (pardon the pun). On the one hand, blades are held firmly in place no matter their weight, and I never had issues with knives being accidentally knocked off the wall. As my magnet was mounted next to my refrigerator, this was important, and the magnet performed like a champ. On the other hand, it does require you to learn a technique to remove knives easily without marring the blades or pulling out the mounting hardware. As other reviewers have noted, the magnet mounts by placing two screws in drywall anchors in your wall, and the plastic end-caps then slide over the screws. Put in one screw, mount the cap, slide the magnet onto the cap, then slide the other cap on and you're done. However, the smaller, cheaper drywall anchors included with this magnet are not that tough, and don't handle routine pulling well. I lived in a house with cheap drywall and in seven years never had any problems with pulling out mounting hardware--the trick is learning the correct technique for detaching the knives. Instead of wrenching them from the magnet (which I agree, takes considerable force, especially with my chef's knife and santoku), I would twist the edge away from the magnet while leaving the blade spine against the magnet. This creates rotational force directly against the magnet/wall without stressing the mounting hardware one bit, and once the magnet has less surface area to hang onto, it takes very little force to remove the spine from the magnet. I just bought another kitchen magnet (we moved cities, and I couldn't find the Henckel at my local store) and while the magnet takes less force to remove knives from, my heavier blades tend to slide down the magnet to rest on the counter, which I don't like. Additionally, I am concerned that my heavier blades could be accidentally knocked off, especially with handles resting on the counter--hit them with a cookie sheet or skillet and *bam*, they drop right off the magnet. Dangerous. I'm going back to Henckel for it's stronger grip. Note that I am deducting a star for the mounting hardware--it is entirely possible to include drywall anchors that hold very well, even when being pushed/pulled repeatedly. There was no need for Henckel to cheap out. Include a better anchor and you'd get 5 stars from everyone here.

Want J.A. Henckels 17-1/2-Inch Magna Bar, Black Discount?

Bought this for my dad for christmas and installed it in about 2 minutes. He has a tile backsplash that I didn't want to drill into if I could help it, so I used 2 layers of some good double stick tape and it worked great. I thought the weight of the knives might pull it off, but going on a month with no problems. The magnet works great and has a "professional look" that one would expect from Henckel.

Save 22% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment