Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic Bar

Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic BarI have been looking for a good way to store knives. I don't like blocks because they are impossible to clean. Stuffing good knives in to a drawer to have their edges knocked about makes my skin crawl. Other magnetic strip holders are metal and can also damage the edge.

The Bamboo Magnetic Bar works very well. It holds my knives and allows easy access. The strength of the magnets is a good balance between holding the knives and having to pry them off with a crow bar. The bamboo surface keeps my knives edges safe from nicks.

My only complaint is the way the magnets are placed in the bamboo block. There are some dead spots on the board. Annoying at first but I am used to it now. These dead spots suck the knife into a position that may not be optimal, with a little rearranging its works fine.

If the magnets were consistent across the board I would give it fiver starts.

This is a beutiful product. However, beuty is only skin deep. The knifes will not stay straight on the bar. They turn into each other. Also the heavier knifes slide down so you have to put them on with the blade point down so the handles will prevent them from falling completely off. This is not a natural inclination and I sometimes have to turn them around. I would not buy this product again.

Buy Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic Bar Now

Very sharp looking. Pun absolutely intended.

Only problem and this may be typical of these magnetic knife bars; i'm not sure is that the bamboo has five distinct magnetic points, and it is difficult to space the knives out properly; they all tend to bunch around the five spots.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but to put it another way, I only use it for five knives (one for each magnetic spot), even though it could easily accommodate more, in order to appease my obsessive compulsive sensibilities.

Read Best Reviews of Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic Bar Here

I was looking for a way to get my "most used" knives out of the drawer and readily accessible. But I also wanted to protect the edges, and to have them safely secured. I considered a block, but wasn't wild about losing counter space. I looked at other magnetic holders, but I was concerned about the chance of damage to the blade edges from striking the metal surface of most holders. When I saw this holder, I knew I had my answer. The bamboo not only looks attractive, it does a good job of preventing accidental damage to the blades. I had some concern that the covering would space the blade too far from the magnet to get good holding power, but that has not been a problem. I wish the price was a bit lower, but I still think this is a superior solution.

UPDATE:

It is six months later, and I just ordered a second one of these for my kitchen. I have been very pleased with the one I have, but the recent addition of a cleaver and a second chef's knife has exceeded the capacity of my existing bar, so a second one was needed.

I'd like to respond briefly to those who are bothered by the magnetic cogging which causes knives to have a preferred location on the bar. I have my bar mounted at an angle on the side of a cabinet. In this configuration it works very well, And I have no problem using the full capacity of the bar. Currently my bar is holding an 8" chef's knife, a 12" granton slicer, a 10" all purpose blade, a tomato knife, a boning knife, and a paring knife. In the angled position this is the full capacity of the block, and the full width of the side of the cabinet. I will be adding the second bar above this one, doubling the capacity of that space. Clearly I find the cogging to be a minor nit, and remain satisfied after 6 months of daily use. As always, your mileage may vary.

Want Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic Bar Discount?

It looks cool. My knives look cool on it.

A couple problems though. It wont sit flush on my wall. No matter how much I try to play around with the hardware it still rocks when removing a knife.

Also there are only 5 magnets. So you cannot put any more pieces on it than that.

But its a pretty good price, and the magnets are strong enough, even for a pair of heavy shears. It works well in my studio so I dont have to take up valuable counter space with a knife block.

Save 23% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment