Mac Knife Superior Santoku/Paring Knife, 4-Inch

Mac Knife Superior Santoku/Paring Knife, 4-InchI got this knife for my girlfriend, who is only 5'2", with small hands. I do most of the cooking and have several high quality knives including a Japanese carbon santoku and keep all of them very sharp. On occassion, my sweetie does some cooking and to my surprise was using my paring knife for prep. Apparently, she finds my regular-sized santokus as too big for her and even somewhat intimidating. Well this is a problem that I can certainly remedy. So, I did some research and found this knife, and lots of reviews by women that seem to really love it, so I pulled the trigger and got one.

It finally arrived, after a minor mix-up. The vendor initially sent the wrong model but immediately made it right, along with an email return shipping label and no excuses at all awesome. Way to go, vendor!

So today, I finally got to put it through its paces. MAC has a good reputation so I was prepared for the blade to be sharp "out of the box" and it was. It readily sliced thin paper and make quick work of an onion, with both push cuts and quick chops.

But ... it wasn't "razor sharp". So I then honed it up with my DMT Aligner, starting with my x-fine 1200 grit and finishing on the xx-fine 8000 grit. I gave it a quick double-bevel. Since it was brand new, it took this new edge very quickly. Wow now this knife is super sharp and positively shreds paper with very little lateral movement. That's a proper edge.

I then handed it to my petite sweetie for her take on it and she took care of another onion. And gave me a big smile. Finally, she has a proper sharp knife for her petite hands. Verdict: guys get one for your ladies. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Just give it a quick sharpening every now and then.

Has polished laminated wood handle and is single bevel 15 degree right hand sharpened on a semi-thin blade. Came nicely packaged in a cardboard sheath inside a nice box. Took about a dozen strokes on an ultra fine ceramic stone to polish edge to semi razor sharpness. Due to wideness of blade, storage in a poly knife-safe case, requires a 4-6" size case/sheath. Handle offset could be a tad greater to provide better knuckle clearance.

Buy Mac Knife Superior Santoku/Paring Knife, 4-Inch Now

I now have two now. They are sharp, maintain an edge, and work great for chopping smaller guantities of material.

Read Best Reviews of Mac Knife Superior Santoku/Paring Knife, 4-Inch Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment