International Fine Edge Pro 9" Steel

International Fine Edge Pro 9' SteelMuch nicer then some costing more and better than those found at the local discount stores. After 6 months of using multiple times a week it is still doing what it is suppose to do. I would buy again

BOTTOM LINE:

It works, is a good length, and feels like a quality instrument. It only gets 4 stars, because the handle on the one I received is different than the one that is pictured and looks like a cheaper plastic.

HANDLE:

First off, the handle in the picture looks like it is wood with metal around the hilt. This is not what I received, and I didn't notice until just now (a month later) as I sit down to write the review. The handle that I received is all black and all plastic it looks just like the OXO Good Grips Professional Sharpening Steel, but it says "J.A. Henckels International" on it with the single Henckels man logo. Nonetheless, it is quite sturdy, has good weight and balance, and it feels like it is full tang. The grip is not slippery in any way, so I have no concerns with it when I am using it to hone my knives.

HILT:

I just want to quickly point out that the hilt flares out just enough to protect your hand, which is nice, since it might just save you from cutting yourself when you are honing fast (it definitely saved me once).

HONING QUALITY:

I trust the Henckels brand. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of experience with other sharpening tools (or honing steel), so I cannot say how this stacks up. In my opinion, this does what I want it to do smoothing out the edges of my blades before and after I use them, and also after I sharpen them just to make things nice and neat. I am still working on my technique for honing the inside of the blade I get a much cleaner swipe on the outside of the blade.

LENGTH:

Lastly, the 9" length on this tool is good, especially for the value, but it is not great. It is fine for my 8" or 9" knives, but I can see how a longer sharpening steel would be better, since you can use the full length of the steel for honing without getting close to the hilt (or your hand). This is especially the case with longer knives (like my 12 inch Sekiryu Yanagiba Sashimi Knife 300mm).

Buy International Fine Edge Pro 9" Steel Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment