YoshiBlade Knife, Ceramic

YoshiBlade Knife, CeramicI'll admit I was expecting miracles based on TV ads, the packaging, and reviews I saw online. All I can say is, you get what you pay for, and this is only a $19 knife.

My first clue that this wasn't the end-all came from the package insert. The list of what NOT to do with this knife is twice as long as what you can do. You can't cut with it against just any surface, so my glass cutting board was out. You can't twist or rock the blade for fancy chopping, and you can't press on the side of it (like when you smash/peel garlic) My Yoshi did not quite slice a tomato like butter, the way the TV ads show. The short blade also makes it impractical for larger potatoes, onions, etc.

That all said, once I got over the limitations I find I reach for it often to cut up smaller things like green onions, chili peppers, carrots, etc. It works just fine and is definitely not a bad little knife for the price. You just have to be careful with it, because the ceramic blade is fragile if mishandled.

I received the Yoshi Blade knife in June of this year, used it normally for vegetables and fruits, and then yesterday, September 23rd, 2010 it breaks inside the handle. I call customer service to explain that I have only had it for 2 1/2 months, and all I get for a response is "the knife is out of warranty." Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Are you for real? Defective product! Even more defective customer services (if you can call it that!)

My wife made the unfortunate mistake of buying another Yoshi Blade and the blade chipped in less than 2 weeks!!!!!

If there was a rating one could give allowing for MINUS STARS, I WOULD RATE THIS PIECE OF TRASH THAT WAY!

DON'T BUY THIS! YOU'RE WASTING YOUR MONEY!

For anyone reading this post who thinks it is somehow contrived, I can assure you it is NOT! Read the part about POOR customer service from Yoshi Blade, and you will know why I wrote the article to begin with. It's never just about a product that breaks. It IS about how the company handles it!

Buy YoshiBlade Knife, Ceramic Now

Maybe I was lucky but we love our Yoshi Blade. Honestly for $19 how could you go wrong. If you look at all of pro ceramic blades you see that they are significantly more than the Yoshi Blade. Think of this knife set as an intro to ceramic blades. I have never seen the infomercial nor the ad on TV. So when I got it it was mostly a curious tool to use in the kitchen. All I can say is that this blade is amazingly sharp. It slices tomatoes, citrus, bread, cucumbers and other veggies amazing.

I am a vegetarian so I have no experience with this cutting meat. It does slice through tofu very easy. The minus 1 star is sometimes it is very difficult to get the knife to start a cut. I believe it is mostly due to the design of the tip. If you have any skill in the kitchen with cutting foods you will easily figure out how to properly use this blade. Also, the peeler is more of a novelty and I have only used it with moderate success on carrots.

Always use a wooden or plastic cutting surface. Almost 100% of dulling of blades come from cutting on inappropriate surfaces such as granite, steel, mica; this is true for ALL blades not just ceramic. Check the web for videos showing this. Hand wash this blade, dishwashers will destroy it.

Pros:

+ VERY sharp when cutting mealy foods

+ Lightweight feels plastic but this is how a ceramic blade feels.

+ cleans easily (does not retain any smell from foods (even garlic))

+ price are you kidding me? A ceramic blade for under twenty bucks?

+ slicing and dicing is fantastic its like a razor

Cons:

Cheap cover ( you should use it to protect the blade in the drawer)

not too enthused with the peeler.

Tip needs redesigning

Not sure how you could sharpen it (although if you take care of the blade it should stay sharp a very long time)

Summary:

If you do not own a ceramic blade you should look at this as a fine intro to the class of kitchen utensils. I love mine so much I am buying a full set of pro models for our family for the holidays.

Thank you for reading my review.

Read Best Reviews of YoshiBlade Knife, Ceramic Here

This is one of the biggest rip-off's of the year. I have returned it because it arrived chipped and then using it once, it chipped while cutting a tomato! Yes, a nice soft tomato!!!! I asked for a refund not a replacement. Should know better than to order something that is touted on TV.

Want YoshiBlade Knife, Ceramic Discount?

I purchased the Yoshi Blade today at a local store and after opening package I went to cut into a lemon and it was like I was using the wrong side of the blade. I then had a few days old green bell pepper and again there was ZERO cutting. I actually thought I had the knife blade inverted but that was not the case.

I then took some $5 paring knives I got from Sams's and had sharpened with the Chef Choice XV and they sliced right through this older lemon and pepper. I tried other knives including a Henkels bread knife, WP Santoku, Chef's Knife and even an old "miracle blade" and they all were able to slice through the lemon and pepper easily.

I have not even tried the peeler as I have a Titan Peeler set that I am well pleased with.

Needless to say, my Yoshi is packed up ready to be returned to the store. I do not plan on exhanging it for another one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment