Spyderco Medium Benchstone with Box, 2 X 8 -Inch

Spyderco Medium Benchstone with Box, 2 X 8 -InchI'm a woodworker, so I use these to sharpen tools (mainly chisels, planes, scrapers, and turning tools) I've used oil stones, japanese waterstones, DMT diamond stones and now these. I like these better than all of the others.

Here's the pros:

You can use them dry (but I would use them with just a little water and a drop of dishwashing soap).

They are not very messy (compared to the others)

They cut fast (japanese waterstones being the fastest)

They are super hard and wear very slowly (I'd say better than the DMT diamond stones)

They stay flat (only the DMT are as flat)

Cons:

They don't come in as fine a grit/micron.

I can get just as good an edge as the japanese waterstones, without the mess and all of the flattening.

I use a grinder and worksharp to get a good initial edge (if there is damage or a new bevel needed) then use the stones (medium, fine, ultra-fine) to hone, then strop with simichrome on some leather/MDF. I get a great edge fast, so I can get back to work.

Tried these stones in comparison to waterstones for Japanese knives.....my results were excellent. I do believe that they work a bit better if a bit of water is added, although they claim only dry use is required.

I like the fact that they hold flatness exponentially better than waterstones and may never need lapping in my use.

Buy Spyderco Medium Benchstone with Box, 2 X 8 -Inch Now

Used this product to get out a knick from a straight edge razor. It did the job perfectly and reset the bevel very nicely before I moved to the finishing stones to finish the sharpening job.

Read Best Reviews of Spyderco Medium Benchstone with Box, 2 X 8 -Inch Here

I have more grinding stones from this company, for different purposes

I am very pleased with all of their products I have purchased so far.

Want Spyderco Medium Benchstone with Box, 2 X 8 -Inch Discount?

These stones (I bought the set, Medium, Fine and Ultra Fine) are fantastic! If I could, I'd give them 4.5 stars, the half-point loss is because of flatness. I called Spyderco regarding the stone's flatness and they reported that the flatness tolerances were "not known" and that they had received reports from some users that this was a problem, particularly straight razor users. I don't use those, but I do sometimes need to true-up parts (gun parts, etc.) and this stone isn't quite fit for that.

For use on knives for sharpening absolutely fantastic! Spyderco says to use them dry, but I've found that I can use them with water and get excellent results; it helps keep the dross (steel cut from the blade) from clogging the pores of the stone and that keeps the stone cutting longer without needing cleaning. I've had them for probably 9 months now and have cleaned one of them once and they still cut wonderfully.

Save 34% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment