EZE-LAP D10F Fine Oval Sharpening Steel, 10-Inch

EZE-LAP D10F Fine Oval Sharpening Steel, 10-InchSummary:

A great sharpener in general and very well suited for kitchen use.

Ease of use:

I was able to get undamaged knives "scary sharp" very quickly. Not razor sharp and I wasn't trying for that. I used it like a "normal person" would use a sharpening steel; a few quick strokes on each side of the knife. And, what makes it great for use in the kitchen, it fit in our knife block in the space where the sharpening steel is supposed to go.

Example:

I borrowed the knife my wife was using to slice tomatoes, a Kuhn Rikon 4-Inch Nonstick Colori Paring Knife, gave each side a half dozen strokes with the EZE-LAP, and handed it back so she could finish slicing the tomatoes. Her next two comments were, "Oh my G*d" and "It's so sharp I'm afraid I might cut myself." (A couple things about my wife, she's a trained chef and knows that in the kitchen sharp knives are safer than dull ones and she will *never* say anything good about my new toys if she can avoid it.)

The video:

Then I figured that to get a real picture of how this sharpens I should take some real pictures. I grabbed a particularly beat up steak knife and made the attached video. It shows a knife in need of repair, how a few swipes against the sharpener takes care of the repair, and how a few more gets the knife back to being really sharp.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews, accompanied by detailed videos, can take the place of first-hand experiences that are often lacking in online shopping. In this case the manufacturer provided a sample so I could provide you with this review.

I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and try to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and the video at least entertaining. If there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

I just had to compare this against my Wusthof Course and Fine Diamond steel rods. The Wusthofs are fantastic, and I use them exclusively for my best knives. I have heard of EZE-LAP from Nutnfancy's Youtube video and it intrigued me. So off I went to Amazon and bought the Fine and Super Fine rods.

Wow, these are just as good as the Wusthof so far as far as sharpening is concerned. I tried it on my my sacrificial Kershaw Blur that I intentionally dulled cutting cardboard. I started first with the EZE-LAP Fine Rod. The Fine Rod is almost the same as the Wusthof Course Diamond rod.

I gave it about 8 passes per side on the Fine rod. Then I proceeded to do 10 passes on the Super Fine rod. Just with that, I was able to slice paper again with that knife. Looking at the edge using a 5x Magnifying glass, I can see that the edge is very sharp and straight. I wiped the rods with a wet rag to see how much steel it removed and it was not much. It is very sharp indeed. If you turn the Oval rod on its side, you can sharpen the Serrated edge of the knife as well. I love it! The 5 stars it received from the other reviewers is more than justified. Nutnfancy is right again.

Unless you are an expert with Japanese Waterstones or Whetstones, I would suggest that you use this method of sharpening. It is not as quick as an Accusharp, but it is much sharper and you just need to invest a couple of minutes.

I will still use the Wusthof Rods for my Wusthof knives, but for everything else, use these.

Buy EZE-LAP D10F Fine Oval Sharpening Steel, 10-Inch Now

I have used an older EZE-LAP model, round 10 inch for the past 20 years. It still works like new. Takes only a few swipes to get a very sharp edge. Does not get edge shaving sharp unless using using oil and very light pressure, not worth effort for normal use. Use dry, wipe it with soapy cloth a few times a year. I have a Lansky stone set, wet lap wheel, and Chef's Choice I would not miss any of them. This is the best choice for knife sharpener I have used.

Read Best Reviews of EZE-LAP D10F Fine Oval Sharpening Steel, 10-Inch Here

The Diamond sharpener creates an edge very quickly. The new edge is a little coarse so I would like to have a finer grit for polishing the edge.

Want EZE-LAP D10F Fine Oval Sharpening Steel, 10-Inch Discount?

I'm not much of a knife expert, so pardon me if I don't use correct terminology. Follow my advice at your own risk.

I chose this product because of Nutnfancy.

I've used this on quite a few blades now, and I'm confident that I'll get a nice and sharp (though admittedly unfinished) edge in only a few passes. It's easy to use, and it's the perfect length, even for large knives.

I say "unfinished" because there is a fine serration left on the blade edge from the sharpener, which is normal. I finish off the edge by passing it over the top of my car window a few times (google that if it doesn't make sense). After that, it's always razor sharp!

I like this sharpener. No complaints about it yet, and I don't expect to have any.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling an urge to sharpen every knife in my house... It's a lot of fun to use.

Save 25% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment