Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears

Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen ShearsWusthof's reputation for quality knives, coupled with easy cleaning, sold me on this kitchen shears.

Contrary to the description, no plastic cap or screw removal is involved... over the normal cutting range of motion, these function just like any other quality kitchen shears... but thanks to some very nice machining of the joint, they come apart if the blades are opened all the way to 90 degrees.

The bevel machined into the joint seems to clamp the blades together as the shears are reassembled, ensuring that the blades fit closely and cut well. The handle is comfortable and symmetrical, so it should fit left or right hand equally well.

Perhaps shears aren't quite so glamorous as forged knives, but this is a well thought-out product and well worth the price.

There's a recipe I do that requires me to butterfly a chicken essentially cutting out the backbone. I've done it with cheaper German-made kitchen shears and it actually broke in my hand. This Wüsthof is a must have for this recipe it works very well. And the clean up is really easy: just take it apart and wash. Simple, easy to clean, tough, and essential.

Buy Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears Now

I read a lot of reviews before I purchased these shears. The thing that was mentioned over and over again was how easy they came apart for cleaning. What they didn't say is the the shear come apart constantly when you're using them. For example: I was cutting an uncooked chicken apart and the shears opened (fell apart) 7 times. It was very aggravating. The plus size of the shears is that they ARE very sharp and should be easy to keep sharpened. I've opted to buy a different brand and style.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears Here

These replace an old pair of Fiskars shears, and it is useful to note a couple of differences between the Wusthof and Fiskars products. The Fiskars had a larger handle for the fingers and a smaller one for the thumb. The Wusthof is a totally symmetrical design, so it doesn't matter how you pick them up (nice when I am in a hurry) and left-handers can use them as easily as right-handers. Both come apart, but the Fiskars had a large and kind of awkward looking pivot while the Wusthof shears have a smaller and smooth joint better because it doesn't catch on things when you cut and it won't trap dirt. I looked at a couple of other shears when I bought the Wusthof's. One pair had a bottle opener, and I was concerned this would catch on things and collect dirt. The Henckel Twinshear was certainly nice, but pretty pricey at $50.

The Wusthof shears are positively reviewed by America's Test Kitchen and this is deserved. They are a quality product. They are made of German Solingen steel, which is a high quality steel that holds an edge well. The blades have small serrations and there is a section near the pivot for cutting more difficult objects (e.g., chicken bones). They cut very well. To me,they are a good size not too large or small. There is a pliers-like area below the handle that is intended to help with opening bottles. I have pretty large hands and find the shears fit comfortably.

These shears come apart easily for cleaning and, as other reviewers noted, the pivot joint is beveled to tighten the blades as they slide together. One reviewer noted that they are dishwasher-safe. I was always told that you don't want to put cutting blades in the dishwasher because it diminishes the tempering of the steel. Wusthof recommends hand-washing and I will be following that advice (as I do with all my knives, food processor blades, etc.).

Overall, I am very pleased with these shears. They are moderately priced, work well, and look like they will last many years.

Want Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears Discount?

This is the one that gets the most beating in my cutlery set. I've been using it for about 2 months. I use it to cut butcher's twine, fruit netting, open beer bottles, most everything. I even use it to cut through chicken wing joints, ribs, trim fat off meat, and it'll still glide through paper like the first day I bought it. I love that it comes apart. No more trying to scrub out food that's been stuck on the screw, which is very hygienic. It's sturdy and has a nice weight to it. Even opening and closing with your hand feels like you are in control. The shears do not slip or need heavy pressing to get it to work. It's glides. The material feels wonderfully smooth on your hand. Although, my mom was the first to notice that it does say it's made in china in very small gray lettering. But it doesn't matter! Who cares? I didn't even noticed until she said it. You definitely will not get poor craftsmanship. This screams sharpness and Wusthof engineering at it's best. They stood by this one. Bravo! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for quality and dependability!

Save 20% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment