Victorinox 48792 Cutlery 6-Piece Steak Knife Set

Victorinox 48792 Cutlery 6-Piece Steak Knife SetWe bought these knives sveral weeks ago and have used them enough that I feel comfortable posting a review now.

As background, I should mention that I own a LOT of knives ranging all the way from the Traditional German Makers (Henckels; Wusthof) to the currently-popular Japanese knives (Shun; Global) to REALLY expensive handforged custom knifes from master knive smiths in the U.S. and Japan.

However, I like to use serrated knives for some things, like steak.

The issue is that serrated knives are inherently disposable in my opinion. The serrated edge just cannot be maintained easily by the average consumer. These knives are often made using less expensive techniques like stamping, rather than forging. I have owned some relatively expensive serrated knives that have lasted for many years, but eventually the edges get too dull and then it is time to replace them.

Therefore I think one has to calibrate one's expectations for a serrated knife to reality.

That all having been said, when it came time to replace my Henckels streak knives I decided to go lower end this time around. So after reading a lot of reviews, I bought these Victorinox knives. Here are my thoughts:

PROS: They are ridiculously inexpensive less than $6/knive. I cannot imagine that one could get a better knife for that little money. They arrive EXTREMELY sharp dangerously so. After a month of fairly heavy use, they seem to be not as sharp (or dangerous) as when they first arrived, but they are still VERY sharp. It seems that the sharpness level has kind of "settled in" and I have not noticed much change after the first week or so. So I am optimistic that they will maintain their current level of sharpness for a long time. They are extremely functional: they do an excellent, effortless, job cutting all types of meat.

CONS: They do not look very elegant. Not trashy, but not classy either. Just very functional. If I was hosting a formal dinner, I might want to set out some different knives that convey more of a sense of style. But for everyday use by the family, they are plenty fine. The blade is just a wee bit flimsy. Maybe flimsy is not even the best word, but if you apply significant pressure you can flex the blade from side to side. Not a lot, but some. On some more expensive serrated knives, this is not possible. However I have not noticed any torquing or flexing at all in actual use. So maybe this is more an issue of "perceived quality" rather than actual functionality. Finally, the length of the actual blade is a little shorter than I would prefer. Maybe another 1/2" to 3/4" would be better.

Bottom line: These knifes represent a very good value for a serrated knife. I cannot give them a full five stars because of the less-than-elegant appearance and the blade length. But I am happy with my purchase, and assuming that someone's expectations are properly calibrated then I recommend they consider these knives.

I purchased a set of these knives about 10 years ago and they still perform as advertised. For the price I can't imagine that you can find a better utility steak knife. They are not fancy but they stay sharp and are dishwasher safe.

Buy Victorinox 48792 Cutlery 6-Piece Steak Knife Set Now

These were given to me as a gift for Christmas 2007. Since then, we have used them for everything but steak. We cut up kid foods mostly. We also use them for peeling apples (not what they were intended for, but sometimes the right knife is dirty), opening packages, cutting fruit, lunch meat, pizza, chicken, salads, grapes, etc.

These knives have stayed sharp even in the face of dishwasher use. They are flexible and durable.

Read Best Reviews of Victorinox 48792 Cutlery 6-Piece Steak Knife Set Here

These are wonderful, but be warned they are very sharp! They wash well in the dishwasher and we have had no problems whatsoever (except that I cut myself, but that was a user error). I highly recommend these knives if you don't want to bother buying replacements anytime soon.

Want Victorinox 48792 Cutlery 6-Piece Steak Knife Set Discount?

Well I managed to slice my finger and get 6 stiches. These knives retain their sharpness forever.

Save 39% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment