Ontario Knife 7065 4-Inch Paring Knife

Ontario Knife 7065 4-Inch Paring KnifeThis is many times better better than every other knife in my kitchen drawer, and didn't cost more than any one of them.

I bought the Old Hickory after a minor epiphany. It began when I was trying to sharpen a paring knife that I use all the time in spite of the fact that it's almost dull to the point of uselessness. It's a Chicago Cutlery knife which is made from some mysterious stainless steel, and needless to say I was just ripping minute chunks out of the blade without really improving the edge a bit. It occurred to me all at once that I would never tolerate such poor quality in a camping or hunting knife, but I have never questioned the overt lousiness of my kitchen knives.

Part of the reason for that is that I see no need to spend a ton of cash on something for chopping vegetables and cutting sandwiches. I looked around, and saw that the Ontario Old hickory knives were pretty cheap,and made from 1095 carbon steel. I had used that steel extensively in the field, and knew it would take both a harsh beating and an razor's edge, so I figured I'd give one a try. When I got the Old Hickory, I spent a few minutes on it with an Arkansas stone, and sure enough I was cutting paper with it in no time. For kicks, I tried that with the Chicago cutlery, and it just tore the sheet. You can see the results in my customer image.

Nothing is perfect. Old Hickory knives look awful. They won't be shiny like stainless unless you polish them all the time (and you shouldn't do that). They will rust if you don't wash and dry them after you use them. You will have to touch up the edge once in a while, and the handles are uncomfortable.

On the other hand, the cheapest knife in my drawer is now razor sharp. When it gets a little dull, I'll run it across a stone a few times and be good to go. Now that my expectations have been met by this unassuming paring knife, I think I'll buy a full set of Old Hickories, pitch out my other knives, and call it good.

I got this knife, along with a couple of other Old Hickory knives, about ten years ago and have kept it with me ever since. It is a great knife and it sharpens quickly and holds an edge very well. These were the first knives I owned that had high-carbon steel blades. This kind of steel is harder than stainless steel, will hold a sharp edge longer, and costs much less than most stainless knives of equal quality.

But high-carbon steel has one big drawback-it rusts in water. These knives will also stain and discolor with over time due to use and cumulative exposure to acidic foods (like tomatoes or oranges). The discoloration is harmless, the rust is not (tetanus concerns).

So, Rule #1 when caring for these knives is: DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER! THEY WILL RUST!

My wife has put these knives into the dishwasher a couple of times by mistake and the blades were orange when I fished them out. Trust me: It is not fun to scrub the blades of sharp knives with steel wool to get the rust off of them.

To properly care for these knives, hand wash them with soap and warm water as soon as you can after slicing and cutting, always being mindful of the very sharp edge. Dry the blade thoroughly and put a very thin film of cooking oil on the blade with a paper towel. This will help to minimize rust and staining. A good way to remember this look at the handle of the knives:

Wooden Handle = Wash by Hand.

If you care for it properly, this knife will reward you handsomely with a lifetime of slicing, chopping and cutting at a minimum of sharpening and out-of-pocket cost. Those are the reasons why I love these knives.

If, however, you just want some knives that you can throw into the dishwasher when they get dirty and have them come out clean, this is NOT the brand of knives for you. Go spend your money on a set of premium-quality stainless steel knives. They will be much more expensive and will not hold an edge as well as these, but they are easier to care for and you won't worry so much about keeping current on your tetanus shots.

Buy Ontario Knife 7065 4-Inch Paring Knife Now

I thought I would like this knife but I have found that I find the hanlde too small for my large hand and the blade just too long for my regular uses. I find my old RADA 31/4 inch to work better. I am still using it but have not found the right job for it yet

Read Best Reviews of Ontario Knife 7065 4-Inch Paring Knife Here

This is my second one, first is probaby in the garden where flowers were cut. Easy to sharpen and holds a fine edge. For the price you can't fine a better multi use knife.

Want Ontario Knife 7065 4-Inch Paring Knife Discount?

If you want a good quality steel knife that sharpens easily and you don't mind taking care of it to prevent rust, this is a perfect paring knife.

Save 37% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment