Oneida Colonial Boston 45-Piece Stainless-Steel Flatware Set, Service for 8

Oneida Colonial Boston 45-Piece Stainless-Steel Flatware Set, Service for 8BUYER BEWARE! These are being offered at a low price because they are actually 18/0 stainless steel, not 18/8 as Amazon specs incorrectly state.

The numbers 18/0 and 18/8 refer to the percentage of content of chromium and nickel. To be classified as stainless steel, the metal must contain at least 11% chromium (no nickel required). Stainless steel used in cookware is normally 18% chromium and 8% to 10% nickel.

Low end stainless steel cookware, mixing bowls, stockpots and accessories are usually 18/0, which are usually not highly polished, and could be subject to some rust spotting.

This is the third time I have purchased this pattern, the first two times having been a number of years ago. It is very similar to my sterling pattern, International's 1810; but as the price of silver increased over the years, I could not afford to add to my sterling. Boston Colonial was attractive and affordable for our growing family.

I went ahead and purchased it again in spite of negative comments here because I needed it for a visit from children and grandchildren. The set is basically attractive, and I have found that differences between the new set and my old set are not readily apparent in normal use. However, I agree with those who are disappointed in the downgrade of this pattern. Pieces feel lighter, particularly the knives, and the effort to make the knife handles look as hefty as their predecessors is unfortunate.

I have had the set only about a month so can't really assess its durability. However, so far I don't notice many scratches; and I am washing it in the dishwasher without seeing any corrosion.

Buy Oneida Colonial Boston 45-Piece Stainless-Steel Flatware Set, Service for 8 Now

I ordered this set because Amazon specs say it's 18/8 steel. However, when I received it, the box says 18/0 which is much lower quality. The pieces look really nice, and I wonder if maybe the box is wrong. Can't know so I'm sending it back.

Read Best Reviews of Oneida Colonial Boston 45-Piece Stainless-Steel Flatware Set, Service for 8 Here

I received this set and returned it within a month. It started rusting. I finally went to the Silver Superstore on line. They have a line of flatware that is made in the USA. Unfortunately, after Oneida closed their USA plant, it has become harder to find flatware that isn't made in China, Vietnam or Indonesia. Check out silversuperstore.com. They have a whole section of "not made in China" flatware.

Want Oneida Colonial Boston 45-Piece Stainless-Steel Flatware Set, Service for 8 Discount?

This flatware set is the same pattern I have had in the past. I was given some when I went away to college and they were great. The set I have were stamped S.S.S made in USA by Oneida and were virtually care free, just use em throw em in the dishwasher and rinse and repeat. Normally I don't take time to review, but this set is so bad I just have to warn anyone looking at this item. This set I bought from amazon is absolute garbage, they were terrible from the moment I took them out of the box. They were clearly very poorly made. First of all the box says they are 18/0 steel which is not what I ordered, the utensils themselves say 5/10 made in Indonesia and the website here said 18/10...very confusing. So I looked it up, Oneida's website classes them as casual flatware, which is listed as 18/0. The pieces themselves looked like they had been quickly polished, or dipped in some kind of plating that was not on the handles. The handles look more like brushed steel, and there were definitely a difference between the handles and the business end. Also, the handles were rough and sharp on some sides, and smooth on others with no consistency at all. They were also covered in spots with a black soot that might have been from the forging but did not come out with washing. I should have sent them back but I'm new to amazon and don't have a lot of time and I did not wan to mess with it for 50$. So I kept them...and things got worse.

A mere 4 weeks after purchase, I had washed them about 3 times (I don't go through a lot of utensils)and I began to get rust pitting on the spoons, clear evidence of the poor quality steel. I am using a dishwasher with a main brand of regular gel detergent, nothing fancy. The knives however were even worse! On some of the knives I got SEVERE rusting ALL up and down the handle to the point where its not even usable. Its to the point now where I find new degradation on every wash cycle, yet my old utensils Ive had for a decade are just as perfect as when I got them. The bottom line, this set is absolute garbage and I would not recommend this set to anyone. In fact, I am going to call Oneida and tell them how bad their product really is.

In regards to amazon, my order shipped out slower than EVERY other company I've ordered from online. The price was good which is why I purchased here and others seem to like Amazon but it has not been a great experience for a first time buy, I'm very skeptical about what you can get on here but ill give it another chance.

Save 50% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment