The blade size is perfect. The quality of the steel is great very sharp and holds a good edge. The finish is beautiful. It balances well and has a very ergonomic handle. Then why only 3 stars...?
Well... it all because of the beautiful handle. From the pictures, even enlarged, they seem to show the cleaver has a full tang that extends all the way into the handle. But the steel strips that can be seen at the top and bottom of the handle, are extended out from the steel ferrule, which is not part of the blade. Even worse, the scales are butted against the ferrule but do not extend into and under the ferrule, leaving part of the tang unsupported. Because of this and the thinness of the blade, the joint between the blade and handle is excessively flexible sideways. I am worried that hand construct will come loose with extensive use.
I am not sure why the manufacture designed it like this, may be trying to emulate the appearance of a full tang design. Full tang looks good on a cleaver but is not necessary. They should have done it without the functional compromises.
I want to return the cleaver but it's too much trouble. I may be put on a custom hand since the blade is so good.

0 comments:
Post a Comment