Victorinox Ceramic Chef Knife, 6-Inch

Victorinox Ceramic Chef Knife, 6-InchCustomer review from the Amazon Vine Program The most used knife in my kitchen is a smaller santoku knife. So trying this out as a substitute for that knife made good sense. My santoku is a steel knife, sharpened regularly, and I use it on vegetables and meat both, cleaning it when I switch cutting one to the other.

Using this one the same way I used my other knife just wasn't an option. I tried. I really did. But the fineness of the blade had me shaving carrots, cutting paper thin slices of onions, seeing how many slices I could get out of one crimini mushroom. The manual said that it could be rinsed between cutting things, that the blade wasn't very porous and would rinse clean enough to go from one thing to another without flavor or scent transfer. Absolutely true. I rinsed it, and the onion scent came right off of it.

Then I got to the steaks I was making for dinner. My plan was to cut them into decent portion sizes. Same thing I'd do with my santoku. By then I was just having too much fun cutting. I cut sirloins into strips across the grain, raw and not partially frozen, and it cut so nicely that I wound up yelling for my husband to come see. He was impressed with how well it cut.

The handle is easy to hold, and it weighs very little. The sharpness of the blade rather than the weight does the cutting.

Now, about ceramic knives, I've wanted one for ages, but I wasn't sure. So this was my first ceramic kitchen knife. I'm probably going to replace most of my knives now. They do need to be hand washed. I use hot water, a bit of detergent and a soft dishcloth that I crocheted and they come very clean. The other thing about them is that they seem a lot more fragile than they are. You can literally see the logo through the blade when you hold it up to the light. I chopped and sliced and treated it the same as I treat my steel knives. It held up just fine. They are also very light. The white blade and black handle combined with the complete lack of heft made me think of it as being toy-like straight out of the box. Using it ended that perception though. It's a fine kitchen tool. One that I'm just thrilled to have in my kitchen.

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program Have had a set of Henckels Four Star for years and am still very satisfied---so why a ceramic knife? I found an interesting article about knives that discussed ceramic. Here is what I found: Ceramic holds its edge at least 10 times longer than high-carbon steel, it has a much lighter weight, almost a non-stick surface, it is much harder than steel (close to a diamond), hygienic, and it is so easy to clean---and most important I love trying new things in the kitchen! I also found that you should not expect ceramic to replace your steel knives, but rather, compliment them. Like most good things ceramic has its down side. Hand washing is preferred over the dishwasher, should not be thrown in the knife drawer with other utensils, should only be used for up and down cutting on fruits, veggies and boneless meat, don't try prying a lid off with ceramic-----why you may ask. Ceramic is brittle even though it is strong, it can chip or break. Now for the good stuff! I just don't enjoy sharpening knives, when they fail to cut through hot butter I will do what is required. So the sharpness of this blade lasts 10 times longer than steel? I'll just believe the description, as mine is nowhere near needing the blade honed, I have read the same thing on several other ceramic reviews and have no reason to doubt their findings. I cleans up just with the wipe of the dish cloth, the blade is hygienic because of the hardness.

Have cut carrots, potatoes, sliced bell peppers, ripe tomatoes and the most impressive was a loaf of rather soft french bread. Did an exceptional job on all the ingredients for a wonderful stew. Fruit salad is another great use for this blade, the apples, pears, oranges etc. did a terrific job.

I do feel that if you love to cook and enjoy good knives you probably would find this knife as one of your favorites and a great addition to your knife collection. I use a knife block. The sheath would probably be a good investment to protect it, if you don't have a block. This knife has become a favorite in our house.

Hope your experience will be as positive as ours if you choose to buy this knife.

Buy Victorinox Ceramic Chef Knife, 6-Inch Now

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program I've been using this knife for two weeks now, and it's the first ceramic knife I've owned. My first impressions have persisted throughout that time: it feels very light, and it's very sharp.

I am a little nervous still about the longevity of the edge. I've reached for my kitchen steel more than once, and then sadly put it down unused after I realized that it's not appropriate for this knife. Straight out of the package, this knife had that just-steeled edge that can slice through a tomato skin like it's not even there. Within a week though, even with great care, I found that the knife lost a little of that keen edge. It's still quite sharp, but not perfect anymore. Otherwise the edge seems stable now and it will be interesting to see how long until it actually needs sharpening, and how difficult or expensive that will be.

The logo on the blade wore off after the third use; I'd rather they didn't put one on at all.

But overall, I'm very happy with this product. The light weight makes it comfortable to use, and it handles all normal kitchen slicing duties with ease.

Read Best Reviews of Victorinox Ceramic Chef Knife, 6-Inch Here

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program This is not my first ceramic knife, so I can tell you after six years of use, I have broken the very tip off my old one. With constant use, I have sharpened it only five times. I forget now just how I or somebody broke off that 1/8 inch but it bothers me every time I look at it. Probably, this mishap has prevented me from doing any more damage, even though I use it much more often than its steel counterpart. So know these knives, while harder than steel, are brittle. Do not chop with any striking force. You can chop all day long with a rocking action normal to a chef's knife. No boning. And take care not to let it fall on the floor. And even I am not lazy enough to put this easy to clean knife in the washer, but you could if it did not bang against anything else to nick the blade. That is it. I am done with the bad stuff.

Victorinox has long made one of the best steel blades in the world. I have a dozen in my arsenal, from the giant fourteen inch lobster knife that made Crocodile Dundee skee-daddle, to my flexible fish fillet rapier. Unlike their French and German cousins, they sharpen more easily. For ceramic knives, use a diamond surface only. I have a 6000 grit block and an F. Dick oval diamond wand, rather like the traditional sharpening steel. By the way, you will no longer need a sharpening steel for this knife. The teeth do not bend over as do steel ones, hence their need for the steel to stand them back up. I sharpen my steel knives after maybe six uses of the steel. I sharpen my ceramic blade one for every five times I sharpen my steel blades on the oil stone.

This blade is made in Japan, where all the best work in ceramics has been done for decades now. This blade composition is far more pure than my old one. The finish is near perfect compared to my old one, which already made my steel blades seem uneven in comparison. And this blade, while brittle, is more flexible than the previous generation or any inferior make.

This knife is light; you can slice and mince for hours with less fatigue. The size is perfect for a wide range of jobs. The six inches gives you substantial size with maximum blade control. The three of this line would account for easily 80% of your knife work, maybe 90%. Lastly, I have a couple of guilty memories, finding a rust free steel blade a mess in a slight puddle the morning after a major cooking job where it was somehow mislaid in some dark corner. I polished for hours and often as not, not to my satisfaction. There is nothing you can do with these knives that you cannot with steel, unless it involves high voltage or sulphuric acid. They will not replace your boning knife or meat cleaver or pry-bar. But it is dang pretty even with the commercial grade handle.

Want Victorinox Ceramic Chef Knife, 6-Inch Discount?

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program Ceramic kitchen knives have a number of benefits over standard metal blades: they maintain their sharpness for far longer, they do not pit if used with highly acid or alkali foods, and they have a lighter weight, leading to greater chef comfort if used for an extended period of cutting. The downside of ceramic knives is that they chip easily don't drop it, use it to cut frozen foods, or use it to cut bone-in meat/chicken. They're fine in the dishwasher if they won't hit against other items. Ceramic knives are simple to wash because the ceramic has such high density that it cleans up easily and quickly.

The Victorinox knife available here has a very effective white blade; I just cut several pounds of sushi into thin slices, using it instead of my usual Pure-Komachi, which has a stainless blade. I found the ceramic blade to work just as well, though I prefer the handle of the Pure-Komachi. The proper grip of a chef's knife involves placing ones fingers on the blade itself; the Victorinox handle design is such that there is greater comfort if you don't hold the knife in this manner but rather simply hold the handle. The blade gets five stars; the handle gets three, giving us a 4 star total.

Addendum: The knife lasted two months, before meeting its end as we used it to halve a delicata squash. These are thin-skinned varieties which are firm but which I wouldn't have expected to destroy the ceramic knife. My mistake. I'm leaving the four stars on the basis that the destruction of the knife was on me for not understanding its limitations. That said, and as lovely as the knife was to work with, I'll return to metal knives for now.

Further addendum: Although the knife was sent back to Victorinox with an explanation as to how the knife broke, I received nothing back from Victorinox no response at all and not even an email to say that the knife arrived. Customer service is at a low here; even if Victorinox felt that I was unworthy of a replacement, perhaps having determined that I received the knife as a review model, or maybe feeling that no right-minded knife bearer would use their tool on an unsuspecting squash, they had my email address. Send me an email telling me their side, so that I would stop wondering if the knife ended up at their Warranty Department where I'd sent it. Lousy customer service shouldn't be supported drop from 4 to 2 stars on that basis.

Save 47% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment