Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Cooking Couple's Knife Set with Block

Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Cooking Couple's Knife Set with BlockI love these knives. They are truly amazing. My wife and I did a fair amount of research before we bought our set (consumer reports, etc..)and we concluded that Wusthof knives were the best. You might think that they are a bit pricey, but the are worth it. If you have never prepared a meal with a truly fine knife such as a Wusthof, then you are in for a treat. Use these knives once, and you will never want another.

When buying these knives, our biggest problem was deciding between the Classic and the Grand Prix. Although the Grand Prix is slightly more comfortable, I prefer the construction of the Classic. If you inspect the knives, you will see that the Wusthof Classic has a full metal tang with 3 rivets. The Grand Prix, although having the same blade, has a smaller, cylindrical tang that runs the entire handle of the knife. This tang is secured by a single large rivet at the end of the handle. Although I'm sure the Grand Prix is well built, I bought these knives for a lifetime of use and heartier construction of the Classics just appealed to me more.

So, In a nutshell, if you buy Wusthof, you will not be disappointed.

There are really two main competitors in the high-end mainstream kitchen knife market: Henckels and Wusthof. Those who have used both usually have a preference. My preference (and therefore bias you should know about) is for the Wusthofs.

The Wusthof Classic line is the more conservative counterpart to the Grand Prix line. The only difference, however, is the handle style. I personally prefer the Grand Prix, but this is an issue of personal preference. The balance and grip of these knives are as close to perfect as I have found. For those wondering what benefits a higher priced knife provides, one benefit is that the blade (or tang) is one piece all the way through the handle. This makes the blade much stronger, and less likely to snap.

This set includes an 8 inch chef's knife, a 3 ½ inch paring knife, a 6 inch sandwich knife, a 6 inch chef's knife, a 9 inch bread, a 4 ½ inch utility knife, a 5 inch salami knife, a sharpening steel, and an oak block

The 8 inch chef's knife and the 6 inch chef's knife are great knives. Wusthof offers three sizes of chef's knives, 6, 8 and 10 inch. For most home cooks, I think the 8 inch knife is the best choice. The 6 inch is a bit small for bigger jobs, but the 10 inch is too big for most jobs. While the 8 inch isn't perfect for all uses, if you are only buying one size chef's knife (and most people only buy one), this is the one I would recommend. Adding the 6 inch makes the set almost complete.

The Wusthof 4 ½ inch utility knife is a great all-around knife. This is the knife I use for the majority of my small chopping work (when I don't use a Chef's knife).

As for the 3 ½ inch paring knife, this knife falls into the category of overkill for me. Most cooks will get by just fine with the 4 ½ inch utility knife. There is really no notable difference in size for the vast majority of applications between the 3 ½ inch paring knife and the 4 ½ inch utility knife. I prefer the 4 ½ inch utility knife, but the 3 ½ inch paring knife will do the trick.

I have found very few uses for the 6 inch sandwich and the 5 inch salami knives. I prefer the larger size of the chef's knife or the smaller 4 ½ inch utility knife. The knives are just the wrong width and length for most tasks, and fall into the overkill department, except when part of a set.

When it comes to sharpening steels, I have found very little difference between Henckels and Wusthof. As long as you buy a high end steel, you really won't go wrong. Therefore, I shop for this item on price, and Henckels has a price advantage. However as the steel comes with the set, you won't go wrong with this steel.

This set is a great deal, and includes just about the right assortment of knives. Adding the steak knives fills the block perfectly.

Buy Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Cooking Couple's Knife Set with Block Now

At first it was hard to convince my husband, Buster, that we should invest almost all of his weekly take-home pay in a knife set. The price IS a little steep, but these are Quality knives with a Capital Q. I expect to be using them until I am 95 years old, they are that durable and well-made. The knives came safely packaged and each one is a work of art, worthy of being displayed on your kitchen wall rather than stuck into a wood block. But the wood block that came with the knives is also beautiful on the countertop. I have protected mine with a crocheted �knife-holder kozy�. So far I have used all the knives personally except for the sausage knife. You do have to be careful as these knives truly are �razor honed�, but if you do cut yourself it heals without much of a scar, as they are SO sharp and make such a clean slice. When deer season rolls around and Buster bags a deer, I will be able to try the sausage knife, as we always have some venison sausage made up. If you want a beautiful work-of-art type of kitchen utensil in your house, then save up and purchase this terrific item.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Cooking Couple's Knife Set with Block Here

After much thought about which "great knives" I was finally going to purchase I bought a set of the wusthof classic. I also purchased the ceramic knife sharpener to ensure my sharpening technique. The only knife that cut to any extent was the serrated one. I thought surely there must be something wrong so I sent the knives back to be professionally sharpened, but did not see any improvement. Having cooked for years using all types of knives I am thoroughly disappointed.

Want Wusthof Classic 10-Piece Cooking Couple's Knife Set with Block Discount?

0 comments:

Post a Comment