Wusthof Classic 12-Inch Long Slicing Knife

Wusthof Classic 12-Inch Long Slicing KnifeI work at a sushi bar so I needed a knife that can easily cut through special rolls without messing up or squishing the toppings in 2 simple strokes.

Special rolls are hard to cut because they have to be covered with plastic wrap (this helps toppings from falling off the roll) and the knife

needs to cut through the plastic wrap and the roll very quickly.

The edge is really sharp, and grip and weight of the knife makes it comfortable to use.

I also have relatively new (less than a month old) Henckels Classic 8 inch slicing knife, and this Wusthof knife slices through rolls much better,

but that's to be expected since this knife costs almost 3 times more.

Only one thing I didn't like was the packaging.

It came with a cheap looking paper cover and it was taped to the handle. Even the much cheaper Henckel knife mentioned above came in a plastic packaging.

The tape was a pain to get off, and the sticky residue left behind from the tape is even worse.

Took me a while to get it cleaned off, but I don't think I should give it less than 5 stars because of it.

This is an expensive knife, especially so if it is for home use, so treat it well and it will in return give you the pleasure of effortless cutting for a long time.

I also purchased a 12 inch carving knife blade guard by Wusthof and it fits this knife perfectly.

-Update 05/05/2013

I've been using this knife daily at my work for almost 2 years now.

At first, I sharpened the knife on whetstone about once a week.

Now that I've got the angle of the blade as I like, I can go 2 to 3 weeks between sharpening.

Of course the knife is showing some wears, but I bet I can use it for at least 10 more years.

I'll probably "want" to buy a new knife rather than "need" to buy one before this knife wears out.

*Note this knife requires a little extra work on whetstone when sharpening than other knives I have.

Save 21% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment