Mikasa Flatware 18/10, Satin Loft 65 Piece Set

Mikasa Flatware 18/10, Satin Loft 65 Piece SetI've had Mikasa flatware before and really loved it. The Satin Loft is quite beautiful, with a highly reflective surface. It also feels very good in your hand. Unfortunately, it is slightly longer than my previous Mikasa set. In fact, it is slightly longer than any other flatware set I've owned. This makes it more challenging to fit the flatware easily in the wooden caddy I've been using for years or fitting the flatware in the dishwasher.

The real problem however is how delicate the silverware is in response to water. Even the included care instructions warn you that "While Mikasa stainless steel is dishwasher safe, we recommend stopping the cycle prior to drying and removing the knives; hand-drying the blades." Really? I might as well hand wash them! Which is what I now do since my first tries at a full dishwasher cycle left me with black and marred knife blades. Yet even with hand washing, you need to thoroughly dry the blades immediately to prevent marring. And it's not just the knives. Some of my spoons and forks are also showing black marks after five dishwasher runs. Keep some silverware polish handy.

There are other warnings in the care instructions as well:

"Do not allow flatware to soak...or remain unwashed."

"Dry immediately with a soft cloth to avoid spotting."

"Make sure stainless steel is completely dry before storing."

Excuse me, but I'm quite careful with my flatware. The problem here isn't me, it's Mikasa. If I wanted to go through this much trouble to keep my flatware looking good, I'd just go with actual silver and not stainless steel. No other flatware set I've had, including prior Mikasa sets, has required this much care.

Save 47% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment