Higo no Kami Dai(sizeM), Nagaokoma, Import from JAPAN

Higo no Kami Dai(sizeM), Nagaokoma, Import from JAPANA higo no kami is a kind of archetypal folding knife. In Europe and the U.S. this type of non-locking knife is called 'friction folder'. Friction folders are traditional but very basic knife designs that can be traced back to the Romans. That these designs are still in use today should be taken as prove that despite their simplicity they have worked well for thousands of years and continue to do so.

Having no locking mechanism, a Japanese friction folder like the higo no kami Dai is opened by pushing with your thumb on the protruding tang of the blade. Keeping your thumb on the tang after having opened the knife will prevent the blade from closing. To my mind this is a more secure design than using a spring as in other non-locking knives, e.g. a Swiss Army knife(SAK), because you are in direct control of the force needed for locking. If you apply a secure grip, the knife will not close. The higo no kami Dai I call my own has been up to any cutting task until now and can even handle light stabbing (I once had to open a can with it although stabbing is clearly not what the knife was designed for).

The higo no kami Dai is made out Hitachi-BlueSteel, a very hard non-stainless carbon steel which takes a razor sharp edge due to its grain structure (fine grains). Blue steel or Aogami holds a sharp edge for a very long time and can be easily resharpened if necessary. That is why Aogami also is the steel of choice for hand-forged Japanese kitchen knives. As with all knives, it is not essential that the knife comes shaving sharp out of the box. It is much more important that the blade can be resharpened to a fine edge easily as all knives will become dull when being used. Having said that, I would like to add that I was pleased when my higo no kami Dai did come shaving sharp out of the box.

The blade of the higo no kami Dai has been hand-forged in SanMai technique, meaning that two outer layers of soft but shock-resistant steel are forged onto a core of hard but more brittle steel in order to protect the core. The marks on the top of the blade are hammer marks which in my view add to its character.

Being made out of non stainless carbon steel, the blade is prone to rust if not cleaned after use. To prevent it from rusting one should apply a light coat of oil every three to six weeks. Olive oil or peanut oil will do, Japanese camellia oil is even better. A small bottle of that will last for years. Apply a thin coat of oil and then wipe down the blade with a clean piece of cloth.

As with all higo no kamis, one of the main drawbacks of the design is the rather slim steel handle which might feel uncomfortably when trying to apply a secure grip. Also the fit and finish of the handle is rough (as it is often the case with Japanese kitchen knives). Obviously the blade smith focussed on the blade and its cutting ability and only put little work into the handle. Of course this is what makes the higo no kami Dai still affordable. It is a hand-made tool made by a professional but reduced to the max.

In order to improve the grip I have bought a traditional Japanese leather sheath for my higo no kami Dai, which looks like a traditional sheath for folders but is open on the back an spots a lanyard hole. You put the higo no kami Dai in this sheath, then put a leather strap through the lanyard holes both of the sheath and the knife (thereby also securing the knife to the sheath). To open the knife, pull it up and out by the protruding tang, open it and then push it back into the leather sheath with now serves as a kind of leather scales to the handle. The grip is greatly improved by this and I am told that many Japanese carry their higo no kamis this way.

All in all, the higo no kami Dai is a nice traditional knife and clearly worth a buy for those who feel comfortable with the concept of friction folders. It is not a substitute for a beefy locking folder (think Spyderco or Benchmade) but it is a great addition. I use my knife mainly in the office because it raises little concern with the co-workers and it is legal in the place I live. Given the choice between a higo no kami and a SAK [assumed that this would be a single blade, non-locking one which yet again most SAKs are not ;-)] I would always choose a higo no kami.

I ordered this little number after I fell In love with the look of Higonokami knives. It's such a simple beautiful knife. It's a blade, a rivet and a brass handle. I saw another persons review talking down on the knife, obviously they will never be happy with anything. The beauty of this knife is it was designed to be used, not to just be a pretty knife. That aside, it's rough looks make it stunning, truly a piece of art. The perfect blend of form and function.

Anyways... I like mine, but what do I know? I'm not a knife collector, I just like nice looking useful things.

Buy Higo no Kami Dai(sizeM), Nagaokoma, Import from JAPAN Now

I am still feeling excitement every time I look at Higonokami. I sharpened this knife to razor sharp edge that cuts so clean you don't even feel it (yes, I accidentally cut my finger the other day, so I know what I'm talking about).

Read Best Reviews of Higo no Kami Dai(sizeM), Nagaokoma, Import from JAPAN Here

These are fine hand made knives. Taken care of they could be passed down to another generation easily. Though it is not advertised you help Japanese earthquake victims with a portion of each purchase.

Want Higo no Kami Dai(sizeM), Nagaokoma, Import from JAPAN Discount?

I love this product. The knife came very sharp, and seems nice and sturdy. I am actually writing this 6 months later, and it has lasted just fine. The blade is great, and getting it for this price, they did cut down on handle quality, but it isn't a bother to me. I think the brass is just fine. Actually, I took a fine sharpie to their engravings so it stands out better, and on the other side I was able to engrave names (in Hiragana) and throw in some kanji. I would buy from them again, it shipped and arrived quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment