Zwilling J.A. Henckels MIYABI 7000MC Chutoh Mid Size Utility Knife

Zwilling J.A. Henckels MIYABI 7000MC Chutoh Mid Size Utility KnifeI own many different professional knives, so I have opportunity to compare them on a regular basis. I maintain my knives well and use them with good technique. If you chop vigorously and scrape the cutting board with the knife edge and hack through bones or hard objects regularly, then Japanese knives might not be for you. The beauty of the Japanese knives is that they cut so well you don't have to hack through anything.

The knife does the work and cuts cleanly. Up until the last 10 years i was always told that German steel was the best and i was quite content with my Wustof and Henkels/Zwilling knives...that was until i encountered Japanese steel. The Japanese manufacturing and knife design has proven superior for me in almost every way. They have an elegance and refinement that is without equal. I absolutely love my shun and miyabi knives. Upon researching different knife steels I came upon the crucible powdered metallurgy steels like MC66 and Cowry. It was then I started paying attention to Rockwell C hardness scale and sharpening angle. I found out that my German knives were sharpened at 22 degree angles and with a Rockwell C running in the upper 50's( which explains why I have to hone them after each use) by comparison the Japanese knives like Shun and Miyabi are sharpened at 12-14 degree angles which is a thinner cutting edge and the Rockwell C is normally between 60-62. Those need to be honed after a few weeks use. However, this Miyabi 7000mc is at 66. That translates into,first of all, the ability to make a scary sharp edge and second, holding that edge with proper use for a much longer time. They stay wickedly sharp for over a month. I can't speak more highly of any knife! These are fantastic! But watch out...they are probably much sharper than any other knife you have ever used. They can easily nick your fingers with even the slightest pressure. You have to have good knife technique or you will hurt yourself.

Save 56% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment