Wusthof Gourmet 5-1/2-Inch Tomato Knife

Wusthof Gourmet 5-1/2-Inch Tomato KnifeI recently found a replacement on Amazon.com for my 10 yr old overused and often re-sharpened Wusthof Gourmet tomato knife. I was amazed at the low price of $29 when this knife in retail stores has been on sale for $55 or $60. Now I know why. The blade itself is the same as the original blade, but the handle is just a groved piece of plastic or composite with rivets holding the flat blade in place-the same a any other cheap knife found at discount stores. I think I bought a $29 knife for $29not the great deal I thought it was and it doesn't exactly match the handles of my "Classic" Wusthhof knife set. But I'm certainly not sending it back. It works really well, just like the original one-just a little more cheaply made.

I know it seems excessive to buy an entire knife just for tomatoes ... but it's gotten to the point where I buy tomatoes JUST to be able to use this knife I love it so much. It slices through the fruit's skin as effortlessly as through softened butter, while other knives (even my other razor sharp Wusthof ones) just bruise and squish the fruit. Definitely worth the cost. I just bought a second one as a gift!

Buy Wusthof Gourmet 5-1/2-Inch Tomato Knife Now

Have had this knife for a while now and have to say that for slicing tomatoes and other veggies like cukes etc this knife cannot be beat. It is the right knife for that task. You can slice a tomato paper thin to beefstake thick and the slices are perfect and clean everytime! The only negative comment I have is that the handle (as on all newer gourmet series knives from Wusthof) seems to be more light-weight and somewhat cheaper. Not that this ruins the performance of the knife...it is more an esthetic / ergonomic thing. Thus four stars instead of five. I hand wash all of my good knives so it will never see the dishwasher so i doubt the handle will ever become an issue.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof Gourmet 5-1/2-Inch Tomato Knife Here

Bought this for my daughter, she loves it. Easy to handle, excellent for slicing tomatoes.

A1 quality! Anybody who wants a gourmet tomato slicer, this is the one.

Want Wusthof Gourmet 5-1/2-Inch Tomato Knife Discount?

This knife allows you to thinly slice delicate fruits and vegetables without tearing. I can achieve a near paper thin slice of tomato with it, which makes this worth every penny to me.

This is a high-end home or semi-pro grade knife. It's stamped instead of forged, which cut some of the costs between this and the high end Classic series. For me that is not a problem due to the nature of the knife. Had I been in the market for a chef's knife I would have spent the extra money and purchased a forged knife. I will say that this one holds a razor sharp edge as well as some forged knives that I own.

It is also missing the bolster that forged knives have, so it does not have the balance of a high-end knife, but for what it was designed to do that is not necessary. It's light, easy to use and the handle provides a nice, no slip gripping surface.

I love the way this knife holds its edge. Some of that is due to the serrated blade, but it's also because the quality of the steel used for the blade is the same quality that the forged models use. In fact I need to insert a caution: you need to be careful when using and cleaning this knife because the blade is extremely sharp. Make sure you store this in a block or roll too because this is not a knife you want loose in a drawer it can inflict a nasty cut if you accidentally grab it by the wrong end while rummaging through a drawer.

One final note: this, like all serrated blade knives, is designed to be used in a pulling motion in order to obtain the thin slices as well as safety when you are holding a tomato while cutting. The reason I mention this is because I've had guests who have assisted me in cooking use this knife with a pushing motion and it does not perform nearly as well.

This is a quality knife that should last a lifetime if you properly care for it. On the stamped vs. forged issue, I personally do not think there is a difference when it comes to some specialty knives like this one.

Save 8% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment