Classic Chai Dao Knife - 7"

Classic Chai Dao Knife - 7'This is a well-made knife. I expect no less from Wüsthof, and I'm pretty sure the build quality isn't your primary reason for reading a review. What you want to know is: how is it to use?

For comparison, I'll bring in my Shun santoku and Victorinox Forschner Fibrox chef's knife. The chai dao weighs just about the same as the santoku, and more than the Victorinox (everything weighs more than the Victorinox--but that's not a complaint). The balance at the bolster is excellent. The blade is just a shade thinner than that of the santoku, and wider than that of the chef's knife.

For dicing an onion or other softer vegetables, all three knives do a great job, and choosing one of them is a matter of whichever you find more comfortable to hold. I give the chai dao an edge on this (okay, pun intended) because I find the santoku a little uncomfortable to hold at the bolster, and the Victorinox definitely wants to be held by the handle. For dicing carrots, the Victorinox doesn't work as well as the other two because it's lighter, and the heft of the santoku and chai dao knives helps one get through the carrot.

For slicing chicken breast for stir-fry (or whatever you're making), the chai dao shines. When I slice meats I usually have a little wrist action involved as I pull across the flesh, and the curvature of the blade keeps the edge where it needs to be. The santoku's lengthened curve tends to pull away from the board for that, as does the chef's knife; the shorter blade length of the chai dao also seems better suited to this task.

For chopping herbs I find that I'll choose either the chai dao or the chef's knife. I think I like the chai dao somewhat better for this, but I'll need a few more trials to firm up that opinion.

I used the chai dao today to de-bone a pork shoulder I roasted, a task I wouldn't try with the santoku or chef's knife because they're just too long for the task. For the detail work I did finish with a boning knife, but the chai dao did a superior job taking the larger meat chunks off the bone with little effort involved.

So, in my kitchen at least, this is a very useful and usable knife from which I expect to get years of service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment