Friedr Dick Paring Knife 3 1/2 inch, Forged

Friedr Dick Paring Knife 3 1/2 inch, ForgedGreat knife haven't have it long, but will buy more of this brand of knife again.

Ten years ago I bought my first set of knives. I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I couldn't really afford Wusthof or Henckels, but I stumbled upon a little known (and sadly now defunct) website called "A Cook's Wares" that recommended F.Dick knives as an affordable option of equal or greater quality to the big names. I also liked knowing that "F Dick cutlery is used by 9 out 10 culinary schools worldwide". My F.Dick chef's knife, bread knife, carving knife, tomato knife, and paring knife have served me well over the years, but on occasion, my partner and I want the same knife at the same time. I can see a day where we need two chef's knives, but she felt a second paring knife would be the better option (and we only have one remaining space for a single smaller knife in our knife block).

Apparently things have changed in the last ten years. My knives were part of F.Dick's "Premier" series, but it seemed they were no longer offering that line, calling it now "Premier Plus". The product photos online aren't great (I plan to upload some higher resolution versions) but it looked like there might be some slight cosmetic differences between the two. The only way I could see for sure was to order one. For anyone who happens to be in my boat (which I assume is an infinitesimally small population), here are the chief differences between the two, having mostly to do with the handle:

* the edges of the Premier Plus handle are rounded, compared to well-defined edges on the Premier

* the black handle material of the Premier Plus has a more brushed, salty black appearance---I wonder if this will get darker/smoother with age/use

* the top side (spine) of the Premier Plus handle has a slight curve, while the Premier is completely straight

* the butt of the Premier Plus handle is a different shape, flatter, not cute and round like the Premier

The knife blade and the bolster look to be almost identical, with the exception of the tang now having a curved profile to match the curved top edge of the handle. I'll admit I like consistency, and sometimes wish perfectly good things wouldn't change. The old Premier's straight handle and defined edges look more professional to my eyes. That said, I'm sure when we start using the new paring knife, we'll find the rounded edges and curved back more comfortable in the hand. Time will tell.

One last thing. I wanted to mention that the ugly little red diamond logo you see in the product photos---that's just a sticker. It peels right off.

Buy Friedr Dick Paring Knife 3 1/2 inch, Forged Now

F. Dick knives used to be available to only professionals, but now all can experience this great line of knives.

I am a professional baker and know how important if is to have a sturdy knife that feels good in my hand and maintains a sharp edge and the F. Dick knives fit the bill.

Read Best Reviews of Friedr Dick Paring Knife 3 1/2 inch, Forged Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment