A Di Alessi "Knifeforkspoon" 75-Piece Set, Includes Twelve Table Knives Monoblock and Twelve Desser

A Di Alessi 'Knifeforkspoon' 75-Piece Set, Includes Twelve Table Knives Monoblock and Twelve Dessert Knives Monoblock, Mirror PolishI just bought a set of mirror finish knifeforkspoon flatware, designed by Jasper Morrison for Italian housewares manufacturer Alessi, and I'm really glad I bought the set with the monobloc knives. Monobloc knives are less expensive in general because they're made of a single piece of stainless steel, as opposed to knives with thicker handles that are made separately, then into which a separate blade is set. This is done for two reasons: presumably nicer feel in the hand, and in some cases, a better, sharper, blade is attached separately.

The knifeforkspoon monobloc knife looks better and feels better in your hand. It's more of a piece with the other forks and spoons in the line. I bought one placesetting earlier to see if I liked it, and I did, except for the thick regular knife handle that just never balanced in my right hand with whichever piece was in my left.

A single regular knife in this series costs $20. The monobloc costs $11. In a set this size, the difference in cost is around $300.

Jasper Morrison designed this as a nice everyday set of flatware that you can also use in a more elegant setting. I use Metlox Colorstax as my everyday dishes, and have a set of Thomas O'Brien's Tiago Blue, a glossy navy porcelain with double concentric platinum rings. knifeforkspoon goes with each set of dinnerware very nicely. Next I'm going to get some of Ellen Chilewich's placemats and napkins.

This would make a terrific present for the modern lover in your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment