Wusthof Classic 7-Piece Block Set

Wusthof Classic 7-Piece Block SetI wanted to replace my cheap generic Walmart knife set that I've been using for years so I ordered this 7-piece set. I placed the order on January 8th and received them on January 12th, which was great. I got everything I ordered in one box, and it was packaged well. I've read almost every review on these knives (Wusthof, in general) and noticed some people saying the packaging said they were made in China. That definitely wasn't the case with these. All the boxes said Made In Solingen Germany and the knives themselves say Solingen, Germany on the blade. Also, the red emblem on the knives in the picture are in fact just stickers, which I read in another review. I was slightly bummed about that, cause it looks nice, but I could care less about it after using them!

These knives are sharp! I took them out of the box and did the paper cutting test. All the knives sliced right through a sheet of printer paper from bottom to top, without a snag...even the bread knife! So far I've only used them a few times for actual food preparation. I used the 8" chefs knife to chop garlic, onions, and a bell pepper. It cut through all these with little effort, and made beautiful, clean cuts. The chef's knife is amazing! I used the small paring knife to core the bell pepper and make finely sliced strips. This paring knife is awesome! The chefs knife works just as well, but for smaller, thinner cuts, the paring knife is great to have. I used the bread knife to slice up some bread sticks, which it did without squishing the bread even a little bit. I couldn't find a legitimate use for the scissors, so I tried them out on the day-old breadsticks, right out of the fridge. Sure enough, it was like cutting through a marshmallow! The scissors also come apart easily for cleaning and are very sturdy during use.

Overall the knives feel great in your hand. They are solid and well balanced. They don't feel too big or too small. I am a guy, and just for your reference, the distance from the center of my palm to the tip on my index finger in about 5-1/2 inches. So if you're somewhere around there, you should be fine. Also, if you know how to properly hold a knife(YouTube it if you're not sure), I think you'll find that you'll have plenty of control with all these knives.

So the few bad reviews these knives get all seem to be about two things. Some complaints have been that the handles crack and corrode. Most likely thats because they put them in the dishwasher. You really should discount those reviews. Unless, of course, you plan to do the same. The manufacturer tells you to hand wash them for a reason. The second biggest complaint is that they don't stay sharp. Were my knives still just as sharp after I used them? Honestly, no they weren't. I tried to cut through paper after my first full use, and it snagged in the area of the blade that got the most use. But this isn't a problem. I used the honing steel(comes with the set) and after 5 passes on each side of the blade, they were razor sharp again.

I've done a lot of research on these knives and several other top end brands, before purchasing. Every knife maker will tell you that you need to hone your knives before or after each use. That doesn't mean they are cheap. The carbon steel in these knives is sharpened to such a fine point that they WILL dull. Thats why all knife sets come with a honing steel. Its the same reason why a razor blade dulls after a few shaves, and thats just cutting hair. Your knives will be hitting a cutting board every chop. You really cant expect metal this thin to stay razor sharp forever. Besides, using the honing steel is fun and makes you feel like a pro. If you're concerned about having to use the honing steel every use or possibly having to sharpen your knives, just do a little research and you'll see its a pretty simple task.

Obviously I feel pretty strongly about these knives, and I realize I've only had them a short time. Im sure there are other great knives out there, but you're probably looking at these for the same reasons I did. Upgrading your current knives, price, and the ability to add more knives to your set later. And for the price and quality, I think this was a fantastic deal. Feel free to comment or ask a question. Thanks

I've handled wustof knives before this purchase. The knives feel great to hold and use. The weight of the knives is what really differentiates it from others.

Superior quality at a great price!

Buy Wusthof Classic 7-Piece Block Set Now

I got this set from Macys.. I loved the choices of knives it has and the block with more slots. Only complaint is the Chef's knife is too big for a short person like me (it's 8 inch). Otherwise this set is worth having for the price.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof Classic 7-Piece Block Set Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment