Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set

Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware SetI received a set of Stainless Steel Wolfgang Puck pans from my parents as a gift two years ago. They figured I would enjoy some high class cookware especially since it came with the extra cooking utensils. I was so excited to have designer cookware, and I have been repeatedly disappointed in so many ways. I'll spell them out clearly so others can make an informed purchase:

1) This cookware starts out looking great, but after a few uses on a gas stove, the pitting and discoloration of the steel is terrible. I read all the instructions and cared for these pans with much effort handwashing, gentle cleaning, etc. They have been so pitted and stained after the first month of average use that I'm embarrassed to use them when other people are in my kitchen because they look downright dirty. I even tried gentle silver polish, overnight soaks, and just good ole' elbow grease without success.

2) Uneven cooking. I have been cooking for over 15 years, and some of that has been in professional kitchens. I routinely find that these pans heat unevenly causing food to burn in certain spots. The burned areas then stick to the pan. Forget trying to make delicate things like an over-easy egg. Almost every time I cook something using a dry cook method, it stick badly. I routinely break egg yolks, have well-buttered grilled sandwiches stick and then fall apart upon turning, and even less delicate things like 'hamburger helper' dishes have burned, but only in spots. Thank goodness I don't have kids in the house that might require 30 seconds away from the stove because cooking in these pans requires constant attention. Now, please assume I've tried adjusting the heat and stirring thoroughly and frequently. The same dishes I've made for years in other pans has ended up burned in these pans. I've even had the stove replaced over the past two years, and nothing has helped this issue.

3) Skin Burns! Stoves are hot so sometimes handles heat up on any cookware, but the handles on the pots, and especially on the lids seem to heat up much more than I'd anticipate. Steel is a conductive metal, so I'd expect some heat, but I've burned my hands more than a couple times by simply lifting a lid without a potholder. Actually grabbing the side handles of a pot could cause serious burns even after only a few minutes on the stove. This is just unsafe and poor design. I've also had friends who have cooked with me in my kitchen comment that these pans/pots 'spit'... what I mean is that if I'm heating water in the small saucepan, as I pour the hot water from the pan into a cup, the water spits and sputters (often onto the hands causing burns) as it contacts the heated edges of the pan when pouring. I've had this happen a little with other cookware occasionally, but it's a large problem with this cookware. Again, the heating qualities of these pans causes the areas not in contact with food to heat up very quickly.

4) Rivets are dangerous. To anyone shopping for pans, please take this point into consideration. When a rivet is exposed to food, such as they are with this pan, you set up a recipe for disaster. Food can become wedged in the small spaces around the rivets which makes cleaning very hard. Additionally, if those areas aren't cleaned properly, lodged food can grow all kinds of nasty food borne illnesses which are directly transferred to food next time you cook. Yes, heat kills bacteria the next time you heat up the pan, but it doesn't always kill the toxins that the bacteria produced while it was alive and well before heating. The toxins are what make you hospital-worthy sick. With these particular pans, they cut some corners with the rivets also, and they look as if they're oxidizing and beginning to break down. Again, disappointed.

5) The larger pots do not stack. Have ample cupboard room because even my small set takes up more space than it needs to. Poor design.

So, I'm stuck with a set of cookware that looks bad and cooks poorly. Who cares about the price or how good of a deal you're getting if you're food is sticking and your hands are burning? My recommendation: save your money and buy something else.

I purchased this set after I had cheaped out on two separate sets I had purchased from Big Lots and Target. Those sets started to fall apart after two weeks and couldn't withstand repetitive, long-term use (I make a lot of stews and slowly cooked items). So I opted to purchase this set with the only expectation for it not to fall apart.

This set has remained resilient for me. Easy to clean, easy to cook in, and considering the frequency of usage, it still looks great. Nothing is peeling, falling apart, and the handles are still sturdy. I also appreciate the variety of cookware, allowing me to cook beyond my stews. I might not know much about gourmet cooking, but personally I found this to be a prudent investment and would recommend it to anyone.

Buy Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set Now

I purchased this set from Ross for $69.00 and it was a steal. This is my first purchase of a stainless steel set. I have used Calphalon and Circulon before and liked them also-but they were nonstick.

The secret to using these pans seems to be to heat them up with nothing in them to not much over a medium heat before cooking in them. Then reduce heat to what is needed. I have a gas stove and these pans DO NOT require high heat to get the same heat as you would with other pans. NOTHING sticks to them so far. They clean up beautifully with no stains, discoloration or pits. Because you don't need high heat from your stove the handles are easy to handle. The lid metal does get too hot to handle without a pot holder-but they do cool off quickly.

If you keep the heat on the pans to med high at best and probably lower, your handles can be held with bare hands. The heat seems to stay in the heavy bottom of the pans.

Before purchasing these I read a lot in chats about using stainless pans and several experienced cooks seemed to say the same thing: heat them without anything in them before you cook in them, then reduce and cook. It works!!!! These are fantastic pans and I am sold on having stainless-especially these pans of such great quality.

Read Best Reviews of Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set Here

I have had Wolfgang's cookware for 10 years now and it is as shiny as the day I bought it. I do not put it in the dishwasher, and to remove stains from the bottom of the inside of the cookware all I use is white vineger. enough to cover the bottom, and warm it. Let it stand for 10 mins and rinse. thats it.

I have never used polish on these pots and pans as its not necessary.

The only complaint I really have it that the rivets on the inside, some are pitted and some are not, but thats because at one time or another I was cooking above the cooking line.

I have been cooking for 21 years, and professionally for 16. I think this cookware is great, you just have to use some common sense in caring for them. With good cookware there are certain things you have to do to take care of them.

Wolfgang Puck 20 Piece Cookware Set

Want Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set Discount?

I wish I had the same thing to say. I have the 10 piece set also. I think it is cheap due to the studs (that connect the handle to the pot). They look horrible after cooking in them several times. Im not sure why. But they all look that way. I havent seen any other set do that. My old cheap Wearever set didnt do that. I will buy Calphalon the next time. Im burnt on Wolfgang Puck. I do like the untensils alot

Save 50% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment