Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife

Ken Onion by Shun DM0500 8-Inch Chef's KnifeI got this knife as a kind of impulsive indulgence, I think it looked cool in its own holder and I had heard good things about Shun knives. However, all those good things are true. It is by far the sharpest knife I've owned, and I've got Henckel Zwillings (not the cheapo kind you get at Target) that have been sharpened to what I USED to think was the sharpest blade around.

I'm not dissing the Henckels if I had not indulged in the Shun I would have been very happy with their performance. But I did get a chance to make some observations on how the Shun shone (no, it's not the same "u" as in "Sun" but it's a borderline pun):

Ripe tomato: The Shun needed no sawing action whatsoever. It cut the initial waxy and soft skin like it was being dipped in water. All my other knives need to break the skin either with pressure, angle, or a teensy bit of sawing motion

Dish brush: While cleaning the blade side with a circular motion in sudsy water (safe for sharp knives) I found bits of the brush bristles in the water. Anything that touched the sharp edge was cut, and that has never happened with the best knife I'd had prior to that. I can normally touch a sharp blade without cutting myself, I am not going to try that with the Shun.

Tortilla stack: I make chips out of 8" flour tortillas by taking a thick stack and chopping it into diamonds or strips, then frying. I've always had to get over the knife and press it in because the multiple layers (20) would slow down the blade. Or I'd work in batches of 6-8. With this knife, I cut the whole 20-thick stack with less pressure than I've used for half that many.

Potato while hardly a test for a knife (anything cuts potato) the slicing was awesome. After cutting into the potato, it felt like the Shun DREW the potato into itself and the potato came apart like it was already sliced. If you've ever held a potato in your hand and expected to re-position your hand after you're halfway through, DON'T do it with this knife. It will be cutting into your hand before you even realize it.

If anything got close to cutting like a lightsaber, this would be it. I kid you not. I wonder how long the sharpness lasts, but I'm enjoying it while it's there.

About the Ken Onion design those used to the generous handle on Henckels might find the handle appearing to be a bit short (I have big hands) but that's until you find the thumb and forefinger position that fits almost over the blade. However, once you hold it, you realize it gives you an added cutting advantage. My only complaint is that the advantage is wasted. You'd have to wait till the blade goes blunt before the handle's design can actually help you cut better.

Did I mention I'm extremely happy with it? Happy indulging.

I own more than 100 knives made by most well known manufacturers of fine cutlery. I have a masters degree in food science and I worked my way through grad school as a butcher and instructor of meat cutting and meat processing at a major University. This is the finest knife I have ever owned. It is so fun to use I think up things to do with it as entertainment. Take it from an "expert" this knife cannot be beat. Read the other positive reviews. I have given this knife to my brother and my son (both are gourmet cooks) and they love it as well. Spend the money and have a ball. I have no use for a reviewer who holds a knife in a store and writes a negative one star review.

Buy Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife Now

I have a whole set of these blades, so I'm breaking down my review to two parts: Review of the Shun Classic Blades, and the portion as it pertains to this knife in particular.

I absolutely love this knife and it's my main work horse knife. The 8" blade is perfect size for everyday uses for chopping, dicing, smashing garlic, etc.. In my daily cooking, I reach for this knife first, and may pair it up with the Paring Knife for smaller tasks. I love the look and feel of this knife, I love that it's so unique and beautiful, I love that it comes with it's own bamboo stand for disply when not in use. I don't hold this knife only by the handle though, I wrap my hand around the handle and base of the blade to give me a very steady hand. Many chefs do this with regular knives and that's where I got the idea from, it allows more control and steadiness (you really feel this when you're using the larger knives). I'm right handed and do rest my left hand on the curve on top of the blade to steady and control rocking motion when dicing. I found that it's very ergonomical and seemed to be designed just for me. I have absolutely no complaints about this knife, I wish they made more like it.

Shun knives are beautiful creations period. Since I'm Asian, I love the tradition look and feel of this Japanese knife. I love the beauty of the blade and the dark, polished, Pakkawood handle. The unique "D"-shaped, Wood handles are preferable. The shape fits my hand perfectly, and the wood does not get slippery when wet providing a very secure hold. The steel is of utmost quality and sharpness. Do not put this blade into any old electric knife sharpener! Electric knife sharpeners are made to put one angle on any blade. These blades come with a 16 degree angle and you don't want to be changing that angle. There are electric knife sharpeners that can sharpen these knives, but you'll have to do some research and find out which ones can be a fit with these knives. I prefer to hone with a sharpening steel and manually sharpen with a stone if necessary (and I don't see it being necessary to touch it to a stone any time soon). The blade is sharp straight off the factory and as Alton Brown says it's the sharpest straight out of the factory edge as he's ever seen.

These knives are more expensive than most, but I think it's definitely worth it. To have the sharpest, most beautiful knife around it's no contest. If you are on a budget, build your collection slowly. It's been said that there are only 3 knives that are the absolute basics for any kitchen: A 8" Chef's Knife, a Paring Knife, and a Long Serrated blade for cutting bread and larger items. I would add a thin utility knife and a boning knife to that list next. Then I would add those "in-between" sizes as I get more money flow in. =)

If you plan on spending any time in the kitchen, good kitchen knives are a definite must. Preparation is the bulk of cooking and when you have good knives, it cuts down on the danger of cutting yourself, it adds pleasure to the work, and it cuts down on prep time. Knives are also a very personal choice and it's best to at least go to a store and try it out for yourself first. Shun Knives are designed by the Japanese, so remember it's designed for small hands. This makes it fit most women's hands perfectly, but I've heard of guys with larger hands not like it so much and going back to the German knives. So definitely try it out. It's a personal thing, it needs to fit you.

Why spend so much money on a knife? Well, if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and you almost always have to bust out a knife to prep a meal from scratch why not use the best? Why spend that time with items that you love and brings you pleasure to use? Many times, it's the small things that brings us the most pleasure in life, and I consider my Shun knives as one of those things. Having something so beautiful and yet so sharp and perfect it makes my time cooking just that much more enjoyable.

Read Best Reviews of Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife Here

Shun makes the best knives I've ever owned, bar none. They all come with a razor edge and are easy to re-hone with just a few strokes on the Kershaw-Shun steel (well worth purchasing to accompany this knife). It was scary sharp right out of the box. The damascus pattern and perfectly crafted profile slice through darn near anything (food-like anyway) with ease. This one took me a bit to get used to, but after a few tries I've come to really appreciate the ergonomic design. The stand is kind of nice too. The weight, balance, and shape of this knife are perfect for chopping (and heavy slicing). It rocks much better than the "classic" chef's knife design. The only downside is that it tore the heck out of my bamboo cutting board so I had to replace it with an end-grain, hardwood one. I've had it for just under six months and use it just about every day. It has proven to be a great chef's knife, one that really holds up to heavy use and abuse.

Want Shun Ken Onion Chef's Knife Discount?

I received this knife for Christmas and recently broke it while doing a straight-down cut through cheese that was frozen in the middle.

The lead customer service rep at Shun, named Brittany, said "This is not a chef's knife it is ONLY for cutting fruits and vegetables. Not meats or anything else." Thus, they will not honor the lifetime warranty on the knife.

I'm extremely unimpressed and will not buy another Shun knife again, and although it was nice for the 3 months it lasted it doesn't seem to be as hardy as a true chef's knife.

Save 38% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment