Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba Knife

Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba KnifeBearing in mind that this knife only cost $20, it's hard to be too critical of it because it is worth the money. I probably wouldn't be thrilled with any knife in this price range. The blade is stamped and the wood on the handle is unfinished. If you want a quality Japanese knife, keep looking.

Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba Knife

I really like the Kotobuki Seki knife, even though it is not a genuine usuba (which has a single-bevel, chisel edge). This knife is actually a nakiri (which has a symmetrical two-sided, double-beveled edge). It is both light-weight and heavy. If lifted near its balance point (4 cm forward of the handle), it is obviously quite light in weight. When lifted by the handle (which in 4 cm behind the balance point), it feels hefty and blade-heavy, but only because of the balance. To me, the sensation of heft in a lightweight knife provides a sense of eagerness to get on with the job at hand (the cutting and slicing).

My Kotobuki Seki knife is very, very sharp, with no assistance from me. It seems to be even sharper than my expensive Global G-5 vegetable knife (which is also a nakiri). Like the Global G-5, the Kotobuki Seki knife has a very thin blade. The blade thickness along the length of the spine of each knife tapers from 1.5 mm (near the handle) to 1 mm (near the far end of the blade). On the Kotobuki Seki knife, the metal that forms the cutting edge is shockingly thin, but it is hard enough to resist deforming, while in use. Be attentive, when using the Kotobuki Seki knife, or it will surely ruin your day.

The blade is 5 cm wide (two inches) over most of its length, so it is very useful for scooping up and transferring chopped food to a bowl or pan. The wooden handle was a bit unfinished, initially, but I saturated it with food-grade mineral oil (used for treating chopping boards), allowed the oil to soak in (overnight), and then polished it with a piece of rough burlap cloth. The handle is now silky smooth.

I really enjoy using this Kotobuki Seki knife. It is a very effective cutting tool. It is also an attractive knife. I even find myself stepping into the kitchen, now and then, just to look at it. Of note, the versatility of its blade design allows the Kotobuki Seki knife to be used for cutting in both the rocking style and in the horizontal (sawing) style. You will like this knife. Please be aware that, as with any specialized tool, it should be washed only by hand.

Buy Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba Knife Now

I bought this knife as a stocking stuffer for my wife. She is Japanese and preferred to have Japanese style knife for preparing food, mostly veggies. We [mainly she] have used it dozens of times now and it works well. It has a nice balance and the blade is sharp thusfar....good value for the money.

Read Best Reviews of Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba Knife Here

I use it for my culinary classes and I sure got me a great knife and shofar haven't needed to use the steel on it nor the whetstone and still as sharp as I got it for the packaging and I don't have to worry about stabbing anyone with it, NO POINT!!! But still pro about it, don't see me swing it around like mad

Want Kotobuki Seki 6-1/2-Inch Usuba Knife Discount?

We're really pleased. It's not fancy, and doesn't have the look of an expensive knife, but at this price it's great. VERY sharp, hollow ground on both sides, nice wood handle. Nice balance. A little bigger than we expected. Really quite a bargain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment