Ginkgo Alsace 82-Piece Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 12 Plus 8-Piece Serving Set

Ginkgo Alsace 82-Piece Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 12 Plus 8-Piece Serving SetGinkgo advertises this pattern (Alsace) as being made in the US. These are not. They are made in Korea and Vietnam. This is still a nice product but it's not made in the US. I haven't compared these with the ones that are made in the US (assuming they really are) so I can't comment on any differences.

The first knife I pulled out had so much damage on the handle that it looked as if someone had taken an engraving tool and scribbled back and forth all over the handle. My skin was cut just rubbing across it. Each piece is packed in a thin plastic sleeve and all the pieces are very tightly packed together. This kind of damage could never have been from transit or handling. This knife should never have made it past quality control at Ginkgo. The price is right and very fair for the quality and quantity but the damage made me wonder if these sets are not seconds or returns.

In all fairness the product looks as described and has a great weight. These are not a pattern I would call balanced. The handles are far heavier than rest of the pieces this is not a negative comment. I knew this from prior experience but would caution buyers who don't like a heavy or unbalanced design. I personally like heavy flatware and having the weight in my hand.

I'm disappointed that I won't have the set for the holiday but instead have to return all of it due to what I would assume is poor inspection at the manufacturer. Best advice I can give is be prepared for some disappointment and inspect every piece prior to taking them out of the plastic sleeves.

-Have chosen exchange return. Amazon is shipping the replacement set overnight (as originally ordered)

Buy Ginkgo Alsace 82-Piece Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 12 Plus 8-Piece Serving Set Now

The good:

This is a beautiful set and a great price for what you get.

The place settings have a nice heft to them and feel solid in your hand. Only one of the hostess pieces has a hollow handle (pie server).

I bought these because I picked up one of the salad forks a long time ago on clearance to try it out and never got around to buying the set. But it has held up well over the past 9 years.

The bad:

As for shipping unfortunately due to weather issues in the midwest the package was delayed.

I got these for a Christmas party and ordered next day shipping.

Luckily I was able to have them hold it at the fedex location or it would have been too late for the party.

I haven't contacted Amazon yet for a refund on my $3.99 next day shipping.

The ugly:

Missing the 12 butter spreaders

The large ladle is a bit wonky with an uneven front edge

One of the tablespoons has a rough spot on the handle.

Where they are made:

The pieces are made in several different places.

The place settings all are made in Vietnam.

The hostess set is made in Korea with the exception of the small ladle which was marked China.

I have emailed the company to see what they are going to do about the missing pieces and will update once I get the resolution.

Overall:

I would highly recommend this set to anyone who is looking for a nice set of silverware that shows nice on the table but can hold up to daily use if you wish. (I am getting a flatware chest to store mine in)

Read Best Reviews of Ginkgo Alsace 82-Piece Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 12 Plus 8-Piece Serving Set Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment