Chef's Choice 110 Professional Diamond Hone Sharpener

Chef's Choice 110 Professional Diamond Hone SharpenerCooks Illustrated gave this sharpener a very strong review (their best-of-class as I recall) and I reluctantly laid down my trusty sharpening steel to give it a try. Once I got this special 3-beveled edge on our knives I never regretted the decision to switch. What's particularly nice is that the edge returns so easily with a quick touch-up on the finest setting.

I've also notice virtually no obvious loss of metal on the knives after many touch-ups, a problem with other sharpeners that can quickly consume your blades. If you want an edge that makes you feel more like a surgeon than a chef, this will deliver.

[The only downside is that it's no good for serrated knives, but their newer model 120 will handle them too.]

I am a carpenter, not a chef. However, as such, I know the value of sharp tools. They cut faster, easier and are much safer. A dull tool or knife is unpredictable and this makes it more dangerous than a sharp one.

My wife (a much better cook than me) and I have some high quality knives and some knives of dubious quality. I took about 1 hour and sharpened about 10 of them. The results were great. It is a little tricky to get used to holding the knife while in the slots... you are kind of balancing it in your hand instead of holding it. You have to let the magnets guide it. After a few knives, it was much easier.

The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is that I can get a quality knife a little sharper with one of my wetstones. This only applies to the good knives I have. What I do is sharpen the good ones on the machine, then finish with a few swipes on my stone. It is a lot faster than doing the whole thing by hand.

The lower quality knives don't seem to respond to this as well. However, they are MUCH sharper than they were before.

Buy Chef's Choice 110 Professional Diamond Hone Sharpener Now

I'm a hunter and a fisherman (mostly fisherman) and have had a devil of a time over the years keeping fillet knives sharp. In order to fillet a fish, a knife sharp is everything. I used the chef's choice sharpener on my fillet knives and it got them almost razor sharp. Encouraged, I went and sharpened all the kitchen knives and the box full of pocket knives that I have received for birthdays and so forth over the years. I have nothing but good things to say about this product. Highly recommended!

Read Best Reviews of Chef's Choice 110 Professional Diamond Hone Sharpener Here

I just received the sharpener today along with a Henckels santoku. I sharpened a half dozen of the old Henckels at home and found the sharpening process to be very quick. The last time I had sharpened the knives was on a whetstone and this process is definitely much faster. I can get the knives about as sharp as the manual process. I was hoping for the 'razor' sharp edge that comes with the brand new knives, but it seems that may not be achievalble with the tool. I used the new knife as a benchmark, and it was not possible for me to get the same degree of sharpness. The machine does provide edges, though, that are definitely usable, and probably better than the average person can achieve on a whetstone. And much faster.

I first followed the instructions that came with the sharpener, and it was quite hard to grasp. It asks the user to hold the knife lightly and let the magnet align the knife. What worked for me was to look directly over the machine so that I can see the contact between the knife edge and the moving abrasive. By looking at the angle and trying to keep the angle consistent, working with the magnet becomes quite intuitive. By trying to keep the angle constant, the hand subconsciously lets the magnet align the knife. If you pull the knife blindly, this process doesn't work quite as well... at least at the beginning, I suppose, since I just started to use the product.

Overall I am happy with the sharpener, and would use this over manual sharpening any day. If I were a sushi chef who whose life depended on the sharp edge, I would probably not use it, but to keep a set of knives at a reasonable condition for everyday cooking, the machine is definitely more than adequate.

Want Chef's Choice 110 Professional Diamond Hone Sharpener Discount?

I purchased the Chef's Choice Model 110 and used it to sharpen a knife [not mine] that had been previously damaged by someone trying to sharpen the knife on a grinding wheel. While the 110 could not correct the cosmetic damage done to the knife, it did restore a very sharp edge to the knife. I look forward to sharpening MY knives and maintaining a razor sharp edge.

Before discarding that knife, try the model 110 and save cash!

Save 31% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment