Wusthof 10-Inch Sharpening Steel

Wusthof 10-Inch Sharpening SteelA lot of people assume that all sharpening steels are the same. That is not true.

I've owned this sharpening steel for about 6 years. It replaced a steel I had been using for about 20 years. I usually hone my knives between every use. With my previous steel, it typically took 4-10 swipes to restore a razor edge, with occasional resharpening using an alumina (corundum) stone; with this steel, I can get the same razor edge in 1-2 swipes, and never need to use the stone.

This is consistent with some hardness measurements I've seen on the web, which indicated that Wusthof sharpening steels were significantly harder than those from other major manufacturers, including their closest competitor, Henckels.

There is one downside to this steel: the steel itself only extends about half an inch into the plastic handle. If you just plop it into its slot in the knife block after each use, the steel will eventually fall out of the handle. It's not terribly difficult to force the steel back into the handle, though, and I can put up with having to do that every few years in exchange for the pleasure of using this steel on my knives.

Wow I read an article in Family Handyman about sharpening your own knives. They recommended starting out with the Wüsthof 2-Stage Knife Sharpener, then finishing with a sharpening steel.

So... We've had knives that I've tried to sharpen before but didn't know how. Was a pain in the butt. So we kept getting new knives. Now we have a drawer full of them.

I bought this steel and the 2-stage sharpener, pulled a dull knife out of the drawer, and about 5 minutes later the thing was SHARP! So I kept going, and now we have a drawer full of super sharp knives that are a PLEASURE to use.

The secret here is to use the carbide part of the 2-stage sharpener for really dull knives. Run it through enough times 'till it "catches" on your fingernail when you slide it down (perpendicular, not parallel...). Then go to the ceramic part and slide the knife 10 or so times. Both are set up so the knife is held at the correct angle.

Finally, pull out your steel, place it TIP DOWN on a cutting board. Position your knife so it's at about a 25 degree angle to the steel. Easy to do if you start at 90 degrees, then cut that in half to 45, then cut in half again. Then firmly but gently run the blade down the steel, pulling it toward you as you slide it downward.

Do that a few times on each side, and you're guaranteed a sharp edge.

The way to keep it sharp is to run it down the steel a few times each time YOU FINISH USING IT. Cutting with the knife will cause very fine deviations in the edge of the blade. Running it on the steel straightens the edge back up.

i love things that make my life easier. This does so, and at a good price. And... I threw away two other sharpening steels after using the Wüsthof. A previous reviewer mentioned how quickly it works, and he's right!

Buy Wusthof 10-Inch Sharpening Steel Now

Some argue all steel's are the same, others say they aren't. I tend to believe they are all basically the same. Regardless, many want a steel that matches the brand and quality of their best knives, as I did. This 10" steel does exactly what it is supposed to however I am disappointed in the quality of the handle. I spent the extra money for the brand name and expectation of quality. The handle appears to be cheaply made, not attached well, and even the famous Wusthof logo was applied crooked. bummer.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof 10-Inch Sharpening Steel Here

I have been very impressed with this steel. The others that I have used over the years have not put as fine an edge on my knives as this steel. A lot of research was done before this purchase and I would be willing to say this is likely the best steel you are going to find for the money.

Want Wusthof 10-Inch Sharpening Steel Discount?

[[A

SIN: B00009WDT8 Wüsthof 10-Inch Sharpening Steel]] keeps a nice sharp edge on all my knives . The key is to don't let them go to long before sharpening. Always keep a a nice edge on your knives.

Save 38% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment