Le Creuset Small Multi-Purpose Bowl, 20 ounce

Le Creuset Stoneware Multi Bowl, Small, CherryWhen I discovered Le Creuset had come out with a line of deep purple products (Cassis color), I knew I was ready at long last to get a few more enameled cast iron cookware pieces. The stoneware is just as pretty as the enameled iron, but there is one major drawback.

My primary concern is that the stoneware pieces are made in China (or Vietnam, if I recall correctly from the now-discarded packaging.) I'm willing to pay more for Le Creuset iron because I know a certain level of workerand environmental-safety can be assumed in a product manufactured in France. The name brand on this stoneware adds a LOT to the price, but I don't know if the production deserves the price premium over attractive stoneware I could purchase at mass merchandise stores. That said, the quality of all the Le Creuset stoneware pieces I've received so far has been good--smooth edges, gorgeous color, no chips or bumps.

This was the first piece I got with a small visible flaw. There is a minor irregularity in the glaze where the purple outside meets the cream-colored interior. In a set of inexpensive bowls, I would have paid very little attention to this, but it irks a bit when I pay this much for a single ceramic bowl. All-in-all, I am so in love with the color of this set, however, that I'm overlooking the flaw and still plan to buy more Le Creuset stoneware pieces in Cassis.

I bought one Le Creuset Stoneware Multi Bowl, Small, Cassis and one Le Creuset Stoneware 8-Inch Cereal Bowl, Cassis to try out the two sizes and see how they compare. As suggested by the dimensions, the Multi Bowl is actually the smaller of the two, and I prefer this size for everyday use at the table. I will have to pay significantly more per bowl to get a "set" of these for my family's use, but hopefully they will last many years and I'll forget the extra expense before they need to be replaced.

I own the small, medium, and large versions of this bowl and love them all. They're thicker and a bit heavier than similar bowls and the overall look and feel is one of quality. I've not bounced them around in a test of durability, but then again this is stoneware so you should know going in what the limitations are. If you need something more rugged, get stainless steel or some food grade plastic bowls that can take more of a beating. Stoneware will be in jeopardy at a kid's birthday party, contentious sports get-together, or in the hands of a general klutz.

But if you want some nice serving bowls sans frills, this would be a great choice. I think that the small bowl is actually too small for anything other than a single-serving of oatmeal or whatever, but the large bowl works pretty well for dishing up 4-6 servings.

Being somewhat picky, I also like that the colors match my Le Creuset dutch ovens. I believe their stoneware line is made in Thailand, but as long as they keep this level of quality, it doesn't matter to me. I only get irritated with outsourcing when product quality suffers and there is no evidence of that here. These are right up there with my Emile Henry pieces and a fine addition to any kitchen in my opinion.

Buy Le Creuset Small Multi-Purpose Bowl, 20 ounce Now

From the oven or microwave to the table--all beautifully. I have several pieces and use them all the time. Functional, lovely and durable--a winning combination with me. And I love, love, love the purple color and classic styling.

Read Best Reviews of Le Creuset Small Multi-Purpose Bowl, 20 ounce Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment