Farberware Ceramic 5-Inch Santoku Knife with Sheath

Farberware Ceramic 5-Inch Santoku Knife with SheathI own the 5" knife, paring knife and the vegetable peeler of the Faberware Santoku selections. First off, you should never need to sharpen these knives if you follow the instructions for their usage. They should last for years. Think of them as a sharp razor blade but never gets dull, never rusts, corrodes or stain and are naturally anti-bacterial. I wash mine by hand and they are always on my cutting block.

My preferred usage of them is with fruits and vegetables, the 5" is a great knife for slicing bread, no matter how soft it is. Boneless meats, chicken and fish can be carved with expert results. Since the ceramic has no lubricity it won't cut cheese as well as a chrome or stainless knife. The best is slicing tomatoes into little cubes for your own salsa and they stay as cubes and don't get crushed while slicing. I can slice olives paper thin and slice up onions so small I don't need a chopper or processor to clean. I love the vegetable peeler when cleaning a cucumber, it slices so thin only the green skin comes off.

Overall these knives are a great value and should give years of use. If you price compare the 5" sells for $15.99 at Wal-Mart and $19.99 at Krogers, the paring knife is $9.99 at Wal-Mart and at Krogers it includes the vegetable peeler for $10.99.

I bought this knife about 2 years ago at the local supermarket. It was only $20 so I thought I might as well try it. I really liked it so there was very little effort to use it as much as possible. I cut vegetables, meat, cheese, fish, bread, plastic packaging, cardboard... I did everything but chop bones. It just doesn't have the weight and balance for chopping so that was easy to avoid. But basically I used it for everything one uses a knife for without being too careful. It was always used on either a wood or nylon cutting board. Washed it by hand half the time but at the end of the day it went through the dishwasher. Kept it in its plastic sheath.

The edge held up fine over the two years. Not as sharp as when I bought it but still good enough for slicing tomatoes with ease.

But... it finally broke. The blade did not break. The blade broke out of the handle complete. It has only about a one inch long tang that is molded in to the plastic handle and the handle cracked in the high stress area just in back of the blade. It was loose for about three months and finally broke out a couple of days ago. I am considering making a replacement handle but first I want to see how Farberware backs up their 'Lifetime Warranty.'

Buy Farberware Ceramic 5-Inch Santoku Knife with Sheath Now

This was my second ceramic knife. The first was a wee paring knife from Kyocera. The Kyocera still has an amazingly sharp edge. The Farberware knife dulled within a month of light and careful use and Farberware does not provide the free sharpening that Kyocera offers on all their blades. You can buy sharpeners for these things for about $80 but I think you'd have to be a butcher or a chef to warrant it. It can be sharpened with a good diamond sharpener (Smith's works) but unless you have a rig to maintain the angle precisely where it ought to be (and I'm guessing that to be between 11 and 17 degrees), the results will not be as good as the factory edge.

The advantages regarding rust and corrosion are real. So are the disadvantages of the blade's brittleness. Mine are still intact but I have two friends that have broken ceramic knives though in both cases they were violating the manufacturer's guidelines.

My personal preference is still for a 5" KitchenAid santoku which I sharpen every few days. I enjoy sharpening knives. My wife gets angry at me for keeping the kitchen knives so sharp but my father always told me you were more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one. I can't say that my experience bears him out. Be careful. Particularly new, ceramic knives will take your fingertips off before you even know they've touched you.

Read Best Reviews of Farberware Ceramic 5-Inch Santoku Knife with Sheath Here

Estas herramientas nos permiten trabajar comodos en la cocina y nos ayudan en casi todas las labores de la cocina.

Want Farberware Ceramic 5-Inch Santoku Knife with Sheath Discount?

Not sure why but this knife arrived not sharpened. Not happy with it. I either have to send it back or take it to a knife sharpening store.

Save 30% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment