Wusthof Silverpoint 10-Piece Block Set

Wusthof Silverpoint 10-Piece Block SetI purchased these knives on the strength of the Wusthof name and my expectation that these would replace an old set of stamped steel Japanese knives I purchased almost 15 years ago. Personally, I think that my older knives are better balanced and more solid than this particular set from Wusthof.

The blades are sharp, for sure, and the chef's knife did a great job of dicing root vegetables. However, the knives are very light weight, and prone to spotting if you (foolishly, I'll admit) let them set in the sink. Also, the knives do not fit well in the block, so when you reach for one, you end up knocking one or two others out of alignment or, in some cases, out of the block. The honing rod is in an awkward position, too, and blocks access to any knife immediately below it.

I was very disappointed, and ended up giving away the set (used, can't return to Amazon) to a friend who needed a basic starter set. I plan to be more cautious next time, and do some hands-on shopping before I buy a new set. When buying kitchen knives, you get what you pay for -even if they're from a well-known and respected manufacturer.

I thought this set was great for the price and a good starter set. I had these knives a couple of years ago and have since upgraded to the Wusthof Classic. The Silverpoint knives are lighter and "flimsier" than the professional lines for a reason the cheaper knives are stamped by machine, mostly made in China. The professional knives are made in Germany and the steel is forged, giving them the heavier, more balanced feel. You can't expect top of the line knives for $60. If your biggest concern is price over quality, this set will serve you well enough until you are ready to shell out more for a better set.

Buy Wusthof Silverpoint 10-Piece Block Set Now

PLEASE don't buy this set, especially at this price. This set made by Wusthof, although looking nice, is not comparable to their high end knives, and shouldn't be selling for 60% of the price of their better knives. I own a set of over 15 knives from their GrandPrix line, but if I was in the market for nice knives at a bargain price, I would look to the Calphalon Traditional set or any other similarly priced set, which is forged like higher end knives. They also look nice, are heavy, and stay sharp well. (My brother owns some)

Please do yourself a favor and shop around and don't buy a set based on name brand. High end knives are worth the money for the ones you use most like a Chef's knife (I recommend the 8" Wusthof Classic or GrandPrix)... but if you would like a bargain set, look to one with a better price... They're your best value.

With that all being said though, if you are trying to get a set for around the X dollar amount, go out and buy a few high end knives. A sharp small set works better than a large dull one. I bought many of my knives myself, but many others were gifts because people knew I enjoyed them, but in all actuality, I only use a few "all" the time. Chef's, serrated, boning, & a utility knife... 4 Quarters are better than 20 pennies....

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof Silverpoint 10-Piece Block Set Here

First, I should admit that I already own several of the Classic line knives, so that may have affected my impression of the Silver Point set. I actually bought the set (more than 80% off of the listed price) because I needed a new steel and block. For that purpose, the set is fine. I was also pleasantly surprised by the decent quality of the shears and the bread knife. As for the actual knives, I must express some disappointment. I was not expecting them to be of the same caliber as the Classics, but I was expecting that, since this is Wusthof, that their entry level knives would be comparable. The blades are surprisingly light and the handles are as well. The edges were okay and steeled well, but I must warn the first-time user that the non-bladed edges are terribly sharp -when using any amount of force to chop, you may find that your guiding hand gets rather scraped. I have read that some recommend this set for first-time buyers, or as a starter set. However, if you are looking for a starter set, chances are that you would be better served by two great knives (e.g., the Classic chef's/utility combo) than by eight mediocre. I don't really think that you need more than those anyway in the beginning. That said, this is better than other starter block sets, and as I mentioned above, the steel, block, shears, and bread knife may make up for the rest. cheers!

Want Wusthof Silverpoint 10-Piece Block Set Discount?

I had no expectations when I purchased my Wüsthof set. Granted, I'm upgrading from a Farberware set I received 8 years ago and I thank God that set lasted so long, so my opinion is not as valid as long-term Wüsthof users. However, I am pleased with this set. It's not as solid as the Classic series and not nearly as coveted, but for the price? Snatch it up and upgrade slowly, it'll be well worth the use you get out of it in the meantime. And at $49.99, buy a set for your local soup kitchen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment