Global GS-3 - 5 inch, 13cm Cook's Knife

Global GS-3 - 5 inch, 13cm Cook's KnifeFor many people it probably is.

I've had this knife for twelve years now, and I also have a full set of Global knives, but this little beauty is the one I reach for most often.

Why?

Because it is superbly sharp,lightweight in the hand and well balanced. Unlike those huge kitchen knives you see on tv cooking programmes,this knife is small enough to be easily manipulated, but large enough to tackle all routine kitchen duties. The 5" blade is long enough for almost all kitchen tasks, but short emough to give the user complete control.

Like all Global knives the GS 3 is SHARP !!!. Try chopping up vegetables, or slicing tomatoes or potatoes. The knife just glides through as if the veges were cooked.

This superb Japanese knife is streets ahead of European knives.

To maintain the blade, I recommend using a ceramic sharpening rod, made by Global (or Kyocera, which is cheaper). Every few months the blade will need resharpening. You can do this yourself, using Japanese waterstones (King, or Shapton,or Norton in grit sizes 1000 up to 8000) and cheap Mino Sharp guides to maintain the edge angle (check my other reviews for more details).

If you can't be bothered doing this yourself, take it to a competent expert knife sharpener and tell him you need a 12 to 15 degree angle on the edge.

addendum:since writing this review I have purchased other Japanese kitchen knives from japanesechefsknivesdotcom, and the Hiromoto AS carbon steel knives are even better.

To be honest, I didn't love it at first, it didn't feel right in my hand. But I've been using it for a while now, and to be honest, the more I use it the more I like it. Its very sharp, keeps its edge and seems relatively easy to sharpen. BTW I'm a professional chef and use my tools hard. I think I like this knife better than my Grand Prix's and am thinking of buying a full size chefs knife next to see how I like it.

This knife is one of my favorites now, even replacing my Whustoff off set serated as one that always finds its way into my hand.

Buy Global GS-3 - 5 inch, 13cm Cook's Knife Now

I have been a knife enthusiast and knife sharpener since 1973 and that year I bought my first German knife, which was a dream come true for a knife geek. In the mid 90's I was introduced to Japanese cutlery and haven't gone back since. Don't get me wrong, German knives are some of the best if you know which ones to purchase, but the Japanese have been making quality blades for well over a thousand years. I have a set of 5-Shun Classic knives, a set of 4-Al Mar twin lamanated knives, a set of 4-AlMar Damascus knives and my set of 3-Global knives. Recently I purchased a MAC SK-65 Santuko knife and it is well worth the price of this knife. I had a set of Victorinox which I gave to my son. Shun makes one of the best knives made and the AL Mar are less known than the rest but a great knife and now to my GO TO set, the Globals. I have the 7" G-55, 3 1/2" GS-38 Western Style Paring knife and my all around go to knife the 5.2" GS-3. The Globals are incredible. Everything written and reviewed about these are absolutely true, and after 39 years of messing around with knives, I have the experience to review them.

I'm not a wealthy person but believe that what you pay for is what you get. To me a $100 quality knife is a bargain, a knife that your grandchildren will be fighting over. If you can spring for the money or save for a top-end knife, do so. If money is a real issue then you may want to just consider the Classic Victoirnox set.

I read allot that people for some reason don't have access to get their knives sharpened. Do your research and decide if you want to learn how to sharpen your knives or look for someone in your local area to redefine the edges on your knives. I'll go out on a limb here but don't get a Steel hone, get a quality ceramic rod to keep your edges cleaned up.

Emerson S.

Read Best Reviews of Global GS-3 - 5 inch, 13cm Cook's Knife Here

Knife is small, but I knew that going in. My hands are small.

That being said, very sharp knife and pretty comfortable to hold/use.

I find I am going to this knife a lot and saving my larger chefs knife for 'bigger kitchen jobs" like cutting acorn squash.

Want Global GS-3 - 5 inch, 13cm Cook's Knife Discount?

I ordered this for Christmas for my boyfriend. He and I both love it! It's perfectly balanced, very, very sharp, easy to use, and doesn't "stick" to starchy veggies during cutting or copping like so may other knives we've tried. The only drawback is that now we want more Global knives! Service was good also it came right when I expected it to.

Save 20% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment