Kai Wasabi Black Santoku Knife, 6-1/2-Inch

Kai Wasabi Black Santoku Knife, 6-1/2-InchMy mother-in-law wanted to replace her $40 multi-knife set because those knifes would not stay sharp. We purchased three KAI Wasabi Black knives for her (Santoku, 8" Chef's, and 6" Utility) as well as the Better Houseware 2404/12 Bamboo Magnetic Bar.

We find the knives to be sharp and comfortable. They definitely keep the sharp edge longer than her old knives. Plus, her counter looks much neater with the huge knife block gone. These knives come in nice boxes and would make a great present.

One thing that puzzles me is why Amazon calls these knives "SHUN Wasabi...". I did not find any reference to Shun on the knife boxes. I understand that the cutlery maker KAI that makes Wasabi line also makes Shun, but that is like calling Scion a Lexus.

I purchased this knife about 4 months ago and I could not be happier. I am a professional cook and use knives quite a bit they also tend to get quite a work out in my extremely busy kitchen.

The Blade: excellent! The blade is extremely sharp and despite strenuous use, holds its edge very well. It is made from a very durable high carbon steel and is very hard and resilient.

The handle: the knife feels good in the hand. If you prefer a knife that feels a bit light, but very solid, then this is for you. The handle feels to be of good quality and is built around the tang of the blade.

The knife performs so well in the kitchen. It can take on onions, squash, tomatoes, celery, meats, cheeses, root veggies, and anything else you can throw at it. As I said, I have put it through a lot of abuse and it hold up just fine. Highly recommended as a professional.

Buy Kai Wasabi Black Santoku Knife, 6-1/2-Inch Now

I bought this as a backup to our Shun Pro knives and it hasn't disappointed. If you send it to Shun they will sharpen it for free as well. It's pretty light definitely feels cheaper than the better Shuns but it sharpens well and holds an edge pretty decent. Much better than a lot of the cheap knives out there.

Read Best Reviews of Kai Wasabi Black Santoku Knife, 6-1/2-Inch Here

I consider myself to be a bit of a foodie I enjoy spending hours in the kitchen each week preparing and cooking meals for myself and others. I have a friend (pro chef who used to work with John Folse) who has sworn by his Shun knives for home use, but I don't have any way of justifying (even to myself) spending $150+ per knife. This knife (and I'd imagine this line in general) gives all the benefits of Japanese steel at a much lower price than normal, without compromising on quality. I may replace the handle (it feels a little too light for my taste, but that's relatively minor given the price) but other than that, I have no complaints.

When I came across these, which are made by the same company just further down their brand line (like certain "store" brand products which are actually made by national brands), I was eager to try them out. This knife has sold me on the line. Until now I'd been using Henckels, but I've virtually replaced all of them with this one knife. It's sharp enough that it literally shaves the hair off of my arm cutting through most fruits/veggies is like cutting through air... and while it's not the Damascus-style blade I'd love to have, spending an extra $100 just wasn't worth it.

For the home cook who places importance on performance, reliability, and value, this is more than sufficient. Plus, it's (relatively) cheap enough that if the tip breaks/etc you won't be left distraught over having spent an arm and leg on a knife that you can't use. Also, it's price point makes it one GREAT gift for your foodie friends.

Want Kai Wasabi Black Santoku Knife, 6-1/2-Inch Discount?

Right out of the package this knife was VERY SHARP!!! It holds an edge very well. The only problem would be that it is pretty light. I personally don't mind that it is light, but it is a little difficult to control at times. But overall a great deal as far as i'm concerned!

Save 36% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment