Prestige Pocket Coutale Sommelier

Prestige Pocket Coutale SommelierAbout a year and a half ago, I received my first Coutale Pocket as a gift from my liquor rep. I'm guessing the one I received was a custom Pocket or a limited edition Pocket because of the wood handle, which doesn't seem to be available as an option anymore. I loved it. LOVED! Over the course of that year and a half, I've opened more than 500 bottles of wine and the Pocket held up incredibly well with minimal signs of wear. The quality, durability, and reliability is unparalleled. I've broken multiple wine keys in the past, but the Pocket has outlasted and out-shined not only every one I've ever owned in the past, but also every one of my coworkers' wine keys. Sadly, that wine key was lost, so I purchased a new Pocket (with the stainless handle) as a replacement to my old work horse.

It's not difficult to see (or feel for that matter): once you hold the Pocket in your hand, you'll immediately notice the quality, the precision, and the workmanship behind the machining of the tool. The corkscrew has very little play in the handle, and the spring has just the right amount of tension on the corkscrew so as not to slip or close too easily. The foil cutter is also very effective. Many of the wine keys I've used in the past will dull quickly and begin cutting poorly (or just cut poorly to begin with), whereas the Pocket, despite having worn down the serrades, still cuts surprisingly clean. Once the corkscrew is driven into the cork, the spring-loaded two-step lever makes removal so effortless. And I don't know if the two-step lever has anything to do with it, but I've also never, ever broken a cork using the Pocket.

Comparatively, the stainless steel handle is a little heavier than my old wood handle one, making the turning feel slightly unbalanced, especially having been so accustomed to the weight of my old one. I imagine the plastic handle Pocket would feel much more balanced, but it's a minor detail that I'll soon/easily get over. Nonetheless, the quality and durability of the Coutale Pocket is definitely worthy of everyday home use or high volume bartending. From someone who works in the service industry popping onwards of 30 bottles of wine a day, the Pocket is very, very highly recommended. Five stars, all the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment