Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inch

Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-InchFor slicing bread or carving roasts we need three important features:

1~ Quality steel that takes AND HOLDS a fine edge...

2~ L-O-N-G curved blade with serrated edge

3~ Ergonomic design.

Steel...

Obviously, if the steel won't get sharp, you can't cut effectively. Sharpen-ability is a function of the grain-size in the steel.

This commercially-produced steel takes an edge to 0.5 micron, so you can be sure it has sufficiently small grain size.

Durability is a different matter! The same metallurgical properties that make steel great for taking a fine edge also make the edge brittle. Steel formulations that are strong & resilient won't take the finest edge. There is always some compromise.

For a bread / carving knife like this one, the ideal trade-off is to have strong steel that maintains a minimum level of sharpness for a long time. ALL the MAC knives I have used and sharpened, including this one, have these qualities.

The Japanese are world-renown for their expertise in tool steel. They are also world leaders in modern production techniques that very closely mimic traditional qualities of hand-made tools. This MAC knife represents the current state-of-the-art in knife production. I do not know exactly HOW they accomplish this level of quality in large-scale production knives, but I know that ALL of them are consistent. Since I sharpen knives and tools for friends and family, I have a lot of experience with all kinds of sharpening. When you sharpen ANY tool, you get to know the steel. That's why I can say with confidence this is VERY good quality steel. After using my MAC for almost five years, I know it holds up well! ( Even in a house with people who don't appreciate tools or metallurgy!)

Blade length...

Alton Brown fans know he recommends the longest blade available for carving or slicing. He's right! The reasons are few and simple: You want your food to look good (without unsightly saw-marks), you want the food to appear tender, moist, easy-to-carve, AND you don't want the embarrassment of struggling to carve at the dinner table. LONG BLADES help! A LONG, slightly curved blade is easier to start and control. Many good carving kinves have this feature for that very reason. This one is among the longest in this price-range; slightly over 10 inches.

Ergonomic design...

When carving that thanksgiving turkey, a holiday ham or the sunday roast, or just slicing your daily bread, you MUST have the elevated handle. That makes it easier to see and feel your work, gives better control & leverage, AND it makes your job SAFER. You want your hand safely above the carving surface, especially at the critical moment when you go through the end of the slice. (which should ALWAYS be on the pull-stroke)

On Safety...

The sole feature I do not like about this model it that the end is a little too pointed. A carving knife requires a "slicing" motion: forward and back. A pointed tip can catch on the cutting board or in the food. That's why a rounded tip is safer. This small complaint is an esoteric design criticism, I know. But it is especially important for those who are NOT experts at carving & slicing. It is also important for those turkey carvers and late-night snack-makers who drink! (please do not ask me how I learned this)

Still that is a small complaint and easily remedied by one of two ways: You can round the tip. That is not expensive and will not damage the knife.

~OR~

You can BE CAREFUL! (a.k.a SOBER.)

Now that I've bored you with this tedious lecture & arcane facts, here is my opinion:

This is the BEST VALUE in a HIGH QUALITY slicing / carving knife I have seen. The only way to get any better is to pay double or triple the price for handmade knives. This gives me 97% of the edge-retention, sharpness etc. but costs less than a C-note. That's great for families with kids that don't care for daddy's tools, leave knives dirty or throw them in the dishwasher. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids, but weep in anguish when those crimes occur. Strangely, no one in our house has ever admitted to doing any of those things. At this price-point, an occasional trespass causes less gnashing of teeth.

The steel is superb for this application. It has sufficiently small grain-size to take a fine edge. It has the right metal formulation to keep that edge for a year of daily use (with regular honing and care of course!)

The tang-through, riveted construction is sturdy and attractive. The handle is "beefy" enough for manly carving duties and small enough that my daughter can easily slice crusty homemade bread. The balance and "feel" is professional & "fast". (obviously, that depends on your skill & experience)

I prefer a rounded tip, but that is a small complaint and easily remedied. A rounded tip allows you to use this ONE tool slice your bread, carve some ham and spread the mayo. That is efficient for late night snacks (made during commercials) and means you only have to clean one tool. (Why am I hungry right now?)

It is rare to find a chef's knife of this quality for under $100 today (2012). So despite my personal quibble with the pointed tip, I still believe this is a five-star value. If you are in the market for a fine bread / carving knife but can't justify $150 to $300 (or more) for the premium cutlery, this gets my vote for best choice.

Maybe when that redolent dilatory kid on my couch finally moves out, I'll spring for the Shun. That'll be fun!

Until then, I'll be using this MAC for my snack attack.

This is my third MAC brand knife, and I must say, I'm in love with them. I bought this knife to be my serrated bread/carving knife at work, and it far exceeds my expectations. It's a little larger than I imagined it, but it will carve or slice anything you have. I love it, and will buy many more MAC knives in the future.

Buy Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inch Now

This bread knife cuts crusty bread like it was slicing through butter! Cuts cleanly and quickly with little effort and without tearing up the bread. I love it and recommend it highly.

Read Best Reviews of Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inch Here

me gusta el corte que hace limpio y el precio esta muy bien, es muy bueno. solo digo que me encanto.

Want Mac Knife Superior Bread Knife, 10-1/2-Inch Discount?

This an exceptionally sharp knife and cuts bread like "Gee Whiz"!

Fit & finish could be a little better.

Save 13% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment