Shun DMS284 Classic Knife Set, 2-Piece

Shun DMS284 Classic Knife Set, 2-PieceThese are probably the best and most useful knives I have ever bought. I have come around to realizing that I don't really need a big knife set, because in the end, I end up using the same two knives for 99% of everything. As it works out, for me, a good small chef's knife and a great utility knife fulfills all my needs.

I have been using these knives pretty much daily for close to a year now, and this has been my experience:

They are razor sharp even today.

I use them on wood and plastic cutting boards only.

I always immediately hand wash after use, wipe dry, and put them back in a wooden knife rack in my drawer right after using.

These are sharp sharp. Remember all of your safe knife handling rules, these won't give you a second chance. (Hasn't happened to me, but I came close, once.)

I haven't had a single rust spot on these knives.

I haven't had a single chip on the blades.

I don't cut bones with these... I have other, heavier, cheaper knives and if needed, a hacksaw, for that!

My experience with this set has matched up with my experience with my other Shun knives (I also have three others not from this set), carefully taken care of, these are a lifetime purchase. I haven't had to sharpen these yet, and it seems I probably won't have to for a while, but when I do, I plan to send them to Shun for sharpening.

These ARE a significant investment in knives, but I believe if you take the time to take care of them, you won't have to purchase another set of knives for life.

Form and function in one. When my knives are sharp as a Shun knife, it's sharp, like a razor. Perfect cutting tools.

Buy Shun DMS284 Classic Knife Set, 2-Piece Now

It is a very well made knife. Stylish, sharp, motivating cutting...

But the wooden handle is not care-free~~~ I have to rinse the knife every time I used it and wipe it down with a dry kitchen towel, since nearly $200 for a nice knife is still not everyday purchase for me and I want to keep it neat for quite a few years.

Read Best Reviews of Shun DMS284 Classic Knife Set, 2-Piece Here

Ultimately, these area a great set of knives that are extremely sharp and look very nice. However there are a few things that I think should be noted:

1.) You're paying a lot of money for knives that are mass produced. They are very nice, however they never really feel like "your" knives, because you know many other people have the same ones. For the amount of money you're spending on these knives, you're reaching a price range where you could buy knives from a custom knife maker, and then have knives that are truly YOURS.

2.) Because they are thin, extremely hard, and extremely sharp, they are somewhat fragile. I was cutting something with the chefs knife and accidentally knocked the paring knife off the counter, and the tip of the paring knife broke off. Luckily I was able to round the end by sanding with a water stone, so the knife still looks good, but it is something to keep in mind. Again, this is to be expected when you buy a knife of this quality, but its something that should be noted; these knives might not be for everyone.

Ultimately I really enjoy these knives and I use them often. I do catch myself looking at custom knife makers, and sometimes wishing I saved the money to ultimately go custom.

Want Shun DMS284 Classic Knife Set, 2-Piece Discount?

These knives are fantastic. They look great and perform wonderfully. The cutting edges are sharp and easy to maintain. I highly recommend them.

Save 41% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment