OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black

OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, BlackI purchased this product because it was recommend on America's Test Kitchen. I didn't expect much, but I was wrong. The serrations do seem to improve the cutting ability of this blade.

I find that I reach for this peeler more frequently than I do my non-serrated peeler. It not only works well on tomatoes, but also on lemons, asparagus, sweet potatoes and butternut squash. I believe that this peeler could function well as the only peeler in a kitchen.

If you need a new peeler, try buying one of these before purchasing a standard peeler. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this peeler works on both delicate and hard vegetables.

I like using this to peel kiwi fruit. It gives a nice clean peeling to the fruit. A regular paring knife will take too much of the skin hence too much of the flesh. But you must be careful with it, I once cut the tip of my pointer finger while peeling the kiwi fruit and it was quite painful. The serrated blades are very, very sharp. Another negative about this peeler is that the skin of the kiwi fruit got stuck on the teeth of the blades and I had to manually pluck out the skin. I think this slows down the rhythm and thus the efficiency of the peeler. My experience is that if you peel "slippery" fruit or vegetable like kiwi or tomato, you must be very careful that the fruit does not slip out of your hand when you use this peeler or you might risk injuring yourself just like I did. I usually cradle the fruit in paper towel to prevent from slippage and peel with extra caution.

Buy OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black Now

This is a jewel. Takes the skin off nice and clean. Just the tool to get rid of those tough skins on a few tomatoes and no more fuzzy peaches. Just bought 6 more for family and friends.

Read Best Reviews of OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black Here

This is one of those simple tools that one takes for granted until the realization comes that small changes make big differences. I'm just ordering my second one now, the first having served a long and honorable career. The addition of very fine serrations to the edges on this peeler greatly improves its performance with thin-skinned or juicy products like tomatoes, peaches, mangoes, kiwi, and the like. Practice with it until your peeling stroke begins with the slightest sideways slide...it only takes a little...and you can make fast work of an otherwise messy and tedious job. If, as one reviewer noted, you have trouble with peel sticking between the blades, try tapering your peeling stroke as it comes to an end. This will cause the peel to taper to a point and fall cleanly from the blade. It just takes a little practice.

If I had a bushel of fruit to peel, I'd still opt for a razor-sharp paring knife. But for normal household quantities, or if your skill with a small knife is not all it could be, this is a great addition to the kitchen gadget drawer.

Want OXO Good Grips Serrated Peeler, Black Discount?

I purchased four of these OXO Serrated peelers on the 4 for 3 promotion last Christmas. Initially they worked great and I loved then that is until this fall. This is when I started having difficulty with them. When I looked carefully at the blade, I could see that some the teeth of that make up the serrated edge were bent and and some had broken off. Once the peeler looses some of its teeth it is no longer effective. The bent teeth catch on the produce. When you press harder to get it going it bounces off the produce and into the hand holding the produce. Ouch! Plus, Where the teeth are broken off, the peel remains on the produce. My Oxo serrated peelers failed one by one and now, not even a year later, all have been thrown away.

I would recommend the Mario Batali serrated peeler instead. I have one of these that I have been using for several years and it is still intact and going strong. Though the Mario Batali doesn't peel the produce quite as well as the Oxo did when it was new...it has stood the test of time, which is very important to me. I will be purchasing more of the Mario Batali peelers to replace the broken peelers. Amazon carries these too -Mario Batali The Italian Kitchen Collection Serrated Peeler

0 comments:

Post a Comment