Ergo Chef ER40 Pro-Series Knife

Ergo Chef ER8 Pro-Series Knife, 8-InchThis is a fairly large, quality knife with an interesting (and, I think, very functional) angle between the blade and the handle. This is not a "hollow ground" knife, which would have a very fine (and relatively easily dulled but extremely sharp edge, like a straight razor); it is perhaps more appropriately referred to as a "Granton", or maybe "scalloped edge" knife (the last designation referring to the ground-out indentations that run along the edge). These indents are called "hollow grounds" by the manufacturer, and they do seem to effectively assist with discouraging food from sticking to the sides of the blade as you're cutting, which is what the manufacturer claims they will do.

I'm no connoisseur of knives. I've always been mostly a 'cheap set of serrated knives' kind of guy, with the possible exception of a Chinese cleaver I bought when I was in my twenties, which I've since found to be of limited utility. But I was intrigued to give this chef's knife a try, and so far I've been very pleased with the results.

I'm no gourmet chef either, but I do like to cook, and experiment with different dishes (mostly made-up or plagiarized from somebody else's recipe book) and I've historically done the bulk of the cooking in our family. More and more my wife and I have tended toward meals of fresh fruits, grains, etc. We'll make a large salad of about 1/2 greens and the rest fresh fruit, nuts and whatever we have we can add: big enough that we'll get at least a couple of dinners and a couple of lunches out of it. We love melons, fresh pineapple, berries, kiwi, apples, pears, mangos, etc. Needless to say, we spend a lot of time cutting up fruit.

This knife has been a champ with all the fruits and vegetables that go into our dishes. Mincing garlic, chopping onions, slicing carrots, quartering strawberries: no problem. I really like the way it makes quick work of slicing up a whole watermelon (the wife's favorite). Where I used to pick out my longest serrated-edge knife and try to saw my way through the rind, then switch to a smaller knife to cut the meat away from the rind and into cubes, this one knife does it all, and quite effortlessly. I would have thought the knife was too big for the latter parts of the job, but it's so nicely balanced that it feels quite comfortable doing the finer work as well as the heavy duty stuff.

We also regularly buy eight or so boneless/skinless chicken breasts at a time (our grocer sells them every day for $1.99 from behind the meat counter), immediately bake and freeze them, then pull out one or two at a time when we want to make a stir-fry, pesto, jambalaya, curry or whatever dish, or add pieces heated with seasoning to add to our salad. So I'm all about a minimal amount of defrosting on a quick microwave cycle, then cutting the still mostly-frozen breasts into pieces and getting on with what I'm doing. This knife makes that job sooo much easier than any knife I've used before, and gives me the flexibility to get the meat cut up and into the pan in much less time.

I've noticed a few times that the tip is really sharp, but I've not actually cut myself with this knife, and I feel confident already in using it (I have a nasty scar on the side of one finger where my favorite serrated knife pierced it). The handle of the knife is super comfortable: absolutely smooth, with no hint of a rough edge where the (full length) tang and handle parts and rivets come together. I really do like the angle of the handle to the blade: it feels very natural and well-balanced, especially for such a large tool. The forged German stainless is flawless in appearance and cleans up so easily. It seems like there's an awful lot of cutlery out there to choose from, designed for all sorts of specific uses. As a moderately-priced, quality-built utensil that fills a lot of needs, I highly recommend giving this knife by Ergo Chef a try.

As a chef I need and use a good knife. I have purchased many knives over the years of varying qualities and prices. I have also recently had some issues with carpal tunnel like symptoms.

The ergo chef knife has helped me with some wrist issues. It provides a smoother and more fluid cut and seems to buffer some of the negative consequences brought on by repetitive motions inherent when cooking.

I also find that the blade stays sharper longer.

Buy Ergo Chef ER40 Pro-Series Knife Now

Bought this for culinary school and love it!! Used a few knives at school and this one holds a blade the longest. After sharpening quite a few knives in class this one was the easiest to maintain. Sliced a tomato paper thin with two strokes.

Read Best Reviews of Ergo Chef ER40 Pro-Series Knife Here

This 8" Pro Series chef knife is the BEST I have ever used! The quality is great, The eronomics are a feature that blows away other cutlery. The comfort and the balance are awsome. Recommended to my family and friends.

Want Ergo Chef ER40 Pro-Series Knife Discount?

It is so sharp! i love how I can cut for hours (I work in a restaurant) and my wrist doesn't get tired out

Save 25% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment