Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set

Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife SetAfter searching stores looking for a knife set I began researching online. I found this set and was a bit reluctant. They didn't come with a knife block, they didn't have wooden handles, and the brand wasn't ringing a bell. But they were rated so highly, and the comments so positive, I decided to take a chance. They are AMAZING! Manufactured by the company that makes Swiss Army Knives, they are beautifully made. These three knives will do virtually anything you need done in the kitchen, so you don't really need more knives. They have excellent weight, good balance, and the grip feels ergonomic. While priced at the low end for good knives, you feel you are using the Mercedes of knives. This is a great set for anyone who loves cooking or quality. And as an aside, I was happy to have to find an alternative to the knife block. I got a strip magnet, and it is so much better!

I just purchased this knife set for my son for Christmas, after reading good reviews. The knives have met all my expectations so far. They are very sharp, and the fibrox handles are substantial, non-slip, and comfortatble. The first test was 4 butternut squash my son volunteered to peel and cut up for Christmas dinner. Cutting hard squash is a task I don't look forward to, but the paring knife did the peeling, and the chef's knife did the chopping, with no problem. I then borrowed the paring knife to cut up an onion, and was amazed at how easily it went through the onion compared to the Chicago Cutlery I've used for years. For less than $50, I'm ready to buy another set for myself!

Buy Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set Now

R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 3-Piece Fibrox Chef's Set, Molded Handles.

I just got mine and love 'em! I've been through a few bargain knives; most recently low-end Henkles; the blades were thin, badly sized, and didn't stay sharp long. I expected a little better but was pleasantly surprised! The look of them is professional but basic, not a showy knife, but they are much better than anything I've seen retail at comparable prices. They're an excellent weight and above par materials. I used all three knives immediately and they performed extremely well. The handles fit the hand comfortably and knuckles never knock the cutting board. The material of the handles is excellent. When cooking, my hands are damp but my grip stayed secure. Vegetables practically slid apart and the slicing knife cut bread with no tearing. I have never found knives at this price point that are this quality. The 10" chef's knife in the three piece set is bigger than might be necessary in many homes, but it's fine for me and a minor complaint. Besides, although substantial, it's not as heavy as a forged knife would be and that's a good thing. I couldn't have gotten the desired pieces individually at this price so I have no complaints except that I wish the line was available locally!

Update: 08/08-Four Months later and few complaints. The blades have dulled a bit, but work well. They remain straight, even and manage most jobs well. I'm looking for a proper sharpener. I did find the knives locally at The Cook's Warehouse and picked up the 8" chef's knife there. Good knife too!

Update 09/15/2010 The often used chefs knife has not survived. It wasn't possible to keep it sharp and the cutting edge got notched. (Hand washed, kept the blade from other objects and surfaces other than the cutting board etc, etc. Who knows, bones or seeds I guess.) It last served to dig out the epoxy from a sink I had to replace and will land in the garbage. I got two years from it. I'm not a fan of things like this being disposable. It's a waste of money and resources. I'm going to try to find a life long knife next time. Dealing with a dull knife then replacing every couple of years just isn't efficient.

Read Best Reviews of Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set Here

I purchased these with the need for affordable knives, and I saw the perfect review score for this set on Amazon (18/18 reviews at 5 stars). I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I didn't.

Obviously the most important trait of a knife is how sharp it is. These are simply the sharpest knives I have ever used. I've used cheap ones that cheat and use a serration to achieve sharpness, and I've used pricier Henkels and similar. A sharper knife is actually a safer knife, since your cuts will be precise. A duller knife won't cut where you expect and can cause injuries that way. To give an idea of how sharp these are, I was able to easily slice a bagel without using a saw motion at all. Not impressed? I did the same with a ripe tomato. Yes, slicing a tomato with just pressing down. I'd never been able to do that with the Henkels even after a fresh sharpening. These knives have made so many kitchen tasks so much easier.

What's even better is that for the price of that Henkels chef knife, you get 3 of the most useful knives to have in the kitchen. This price is simply amazing for what you get.

Well, nothing is perfect and unfortunately these knives are no exception. After being used to the Henkels chef knife, this Forschner was startlingly lightweight. I know that over time I will adjust for it, but I would have liked more weight I suppose. I would just suggest that until you're used to the weight, just be extra careful with the chef's knife. All said, this is such a minor setback for how amazing these knives are otherwise.

There is a reason why these knives have so many 5 star ratings. They are simply that good. For the cost, there is no way you will regret buying them. I purchased these on a budget, and down the road when money isn't an issue, I'll be looking first at Forcshner/Victorinox.

Want Victorinox 46892 Fibrox 3-Piece Chef's Knife Set Discount?

R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 3-Piece Fibrox Chef's Set, Molded HandlesThe balance of the Henckels Professional is better, but overall, the knives are comfortable, sturdy, sharp, easy to use, and easy to maintain. Well worth the price.

Save 35% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment