Fortessa Bistro 18/10 Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 1, 5-Piece

Fortessa Bistro 18/10 Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 1, 5-PieceCustomer review from the Amazon Vine Program I'm going to risk the unhelpful votes and go against the rest of the reviewers on this item. While I agree that the design is extremely nice, the flatware manages to look both classic and contemporary at the same time, it's also nicely polished and very heavy, I still don't like this set.

Our everyday set is by Reed & Barton, also sold here on amazon but is priced far lower then this (less then $100 for service for 8). Honestly the weight is about the same, the Fortessa is a bit heavier but if anything it feels almost like a chore to lift the pieces with the additional weight. The edges on the Fortessa aren't consistently smooth, if you run your finger along the edge of the spoon for instance it feels uneven and rough. The final deal breaker for me is really my own fault for not looking closer at the photos, what they are actually considering a plus "makers mark on every item-craftsman symbol of quality" I can't stand. There is a engraved mark on the front of the pieces which no matter how many times I use them I always glance at and initially think there is some sort of dry food stuck to the piece and it drives me nuts.

If you can get past that symbol and are looking for very heavy flatware at a premium price it might be perfect for you, I'll stick with my other set personally :)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program To set the stage I've been using the same Hampton Silversmiths "Bistro" flatware set since 2000, and I've been very happy with them. While I did start perusing flatware off and on about a year ago, I'm in no real hurry to replace them and not prone to sing the praises of just any nice flatware that comes my way.

That said, these utensils are quite nice and I'm happy that I was able to audition them. Style is all personal preference, and you can likely tell from the pictures if you like that. I'll discuss what you can't see. I think that the construction and build quality are excellent, with consistent fit and finish throughout. The heft is nice, with the exception of the knife that seems overly heavy to me, and all pieces have good balance. The surfaces are very smooth and comfortable (with one exception listed below). The utensils came packaged nicely to prevent shipping damage. I've been mostly handwashing them because I just have one set, but I've run them through the dishwasher at least a couple of times to check for issues and can't see any change in the appearance.

The one thing that I really don't like, and the reason for removing a star, is the makers mark on the spoons. The mark is, IMO, the single flaw in the comfort of the spoons. The mark annoys me because I can feel it every time I put one in my mouth. The mark on the forks isn't so bad because my lips don't tend to touch that part of a fork, but they touch the back portion of a spoon all of the time. If they had to mark them, I wish that it would have been where the base of the cup meets the handle where neither hand nor mouth would tend to touch it. Because I like everything else about the spoons, I've been using these for over a month now to try and get used to it, but I haven't at least, not yet.

Despite not loving the knife, I'd consider getting a full set of these if it weren't for the mark. However, because of it, I won't be ordering any more.

If you are used to such a mark, or are able to try out some spoons with one and don't mind it, then I recommend trying these. They really are very nicely made. At the current price of $30 a setting, these do seem pricey to me especially if you're getting enough for a family. I think that $20/service would be a decent (if not great) value. Even that would be about twice what I paid for my previous set, but these are a step up.

A note on the 18/10 steel. From what I've read, I think that's a bonus in this case because these are polished and the nickel provides a nice sheen. I've read how much better 18/10 (same as 18/8) is than 18/0 in regards to corrosion resistance, so I wouldn't even consider 18/0 flatware when I was looking last year. That is, until I found the packaging to my 11-year-old set last month and saw that it was 18/0. Imagine my surprise! I have never seen any signs of rust on my flatware none. They have been left in water (or dipping in pools of water in a bowl) for extended periods from time to time for over a decade. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary, but I'm less averse to 18/0 now. 18/10 is more corrosion resistant and offers some insurance, so I do think that it's worth more. I'm just not convinced that I need it, given that I don't plan on passing down my flatware as an heirloom.

Overall, these have a lot of nice qualities. I don't like the mark on the spoons and am not a huge fan of the large knife, so I won't buy any more. Given the pros, though, you might want to consider these (especially if you can see them in person at a store near you).

Pros:

Sturdy construction

Consistent fit and finish (with one very minor mark on one spoon, which was under the polish)

Nicely polished surfaces

Great balance

18/10 steel (apparently the same at 18/8, but a step up from 18/0)

Cons (for me, anyway):

The makers mark on the spoons

The knife is larger and heavier than I prefer. I think that it might be problematic for younger kids.

Buy Fortessa Bistro 18/10 Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 1, 5-Piece Now

Pros Very sturdy. Could probably pull up the tile on our marble counter with the spoons. Weighty aka hefty. I like the heavy feel, but some may not. I read one review of someone getting fatigued while using heavier flatware. Really? If your hand / forearm gets fatigued eating, you're eating too much.

Cons Shipment came damaged (UPS' fault surely, so I am not docking for this). Seller responded quickly but was unable to ship out the missing knife in a timely manner (issue I am also not docking for as Amazon stated a 1-2 month delay on shipping at the time).

The real cons begin with the finish. First, this is 18/8.3 silverware not 18/10, but that's fine. I'd be surprised to find any silverware setting under $75 per that uses actual grade 305 stainless. That being said, the finish scratches SO EASILY. The wear was noticeable after three HAND washings using only a minimal amount of a non-lemon based soap and the soft side of the non-scratch (blue) sponge.

Numerous nicks and poor finishing job on the components. The finishing job was just hands down lazy. These were not buffed properly nor finished properly. It looks like the plating process was done totally half-assed. Furthermore, albeit small, there is an obvious dent in the bottom of one of the forks. It appears to be a total failure, across the board, by the QA person on duty when this set was made, which doesn't bode well for those buying a set in the near future.

Overall, if you are going to spend near $40 per setting (with shipping), look elsewhere. A middle grade Oneida or R&B set for similar, if not less money, will provide much more bang for the buck. Obviously you are not trying to buy top of the line if you're interested in this set / price range and that's fine, neither was I, but when I do it over again it will be for something either less money, so the flaws will be expected, or I will spend 50 100% more and guarantee satisfaction.

Would I buy from this seller again? Absolutely. Would I buy this product or anything from this manufacturer again? Absolutely not.

Read Best Reviews of Fortessa Bistro 18/10 Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 1, 5-Piece Here

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program The flatware set I currently own was purchased as an 8-piece setting for under $100. It was cheap. It is also functional but is not as high quality as this single serving set which would cost $239.60 for a service of 8 at its current price of $29.95 per 5-pc single service.

Overall, I think this set is very well made. It is heavier, stronger, and in most cases larger than my current flatware set.

For instance, the dinner fork, dessert fork, and knife are 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches longer than my forks and knives. However, my spoons and these spoons are the same length. I also weighed each piece and compared it to the one I own and this is how they stack up:

Knife is 4.6 oz and my knife is only 2 oz.

Dessert fork is 2.2 oz and my dessert fork is 0.8 oz.

Dinner fork is 2.8 oz and my dinner fork is 1.1 oz.

Teaspoon is 1.7 oz and my teaspoon is .08 oz.

Tablespoon is 2.7 oz and my tablespoon is 1.3 oz.

There are only two things that disappoint me with this set. First, because the handles on the flatware are bulbous (more round than flat), they do not stack well. As a neat freak, I like my flatware to stack nicely one on top of the other. Second, all the flatware except for the knife have an engraved "trademark" on the front and name and "trademark" on the handle. The knife has no engraving on the handle and on the blade is a written name AND written "trademark." Since the name and "trademark" on the knife is in a different format than on the rest of the flatware, it makes the knife look like it is part of a different set. However, these are relatively minor points.

This flatware functions very well as eating untensils and except for the two disappointments I mentioned above, I think it is a quality set. They certainly are attractive.

December 26, 2011 Update I showed this flatware to my boyfriend and he was very impressed. He say they are very attractive and functional. He did mention it would be great if they sold it in sets of 4 or 8 at a cheaper price than $29.00 per one serving. However, in general he could find no fault with this flatware and to him the set is a five-star product.

Want Fortessa Bistro 18/10 Stainless Steel Flatware Set, Service for 1, 5-Piece Discount?

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program If you're looking for some nice flatware, then you really can't go wrong with this Fortessa 5-piece set. The package includes a dinner knife, dinner fork, dessert fork, tablespoon, and a teaspoon, all of which have a simple and elegant design. It is also worth noting that this set is a bit heavier with somewhat thicker handles than you might be used to. While I've seen a couple of other reviewers who dislike the weight and shape, I disagree it makes them feel very durable and long-lasting.

Overall, I'm quite happy to have these. If I ever need more good-quality flatware, I'd definitely buy a few more sets.

Save 40% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment