Shun DM0766 Classic Western Chef's Knife, 8-Inch

Shun DM0766 Classic Western Chef's Knife, 8-InchI absolutely love this knife. I have owned this for about 5 months now.

Yes, it is extremely sharp.

It is my "go-to" for prep work. I mostly use it for large-quantity vegetable prep, but it is heavy (and sharp!) enough to break down and cube large cuts of meat as well. The wider blade of this Western-style Chef's knife is nice for the "chop & scoop" move.

It feels great in my hand and I love the balance and weight of it. It's easy to handle and maneuver. It has held up very well so far with absolutely no issues.

In my opinion this is a must-have when building a set of quality kitchen knives.

My general thoughts on Shun knives:

I have chosen switch from my German Wusthof and Henckels I've been collecting since college and started building a set of Shuns. In doing so, I've noticed a few things:

Firstly, they are absolutely stunning to look at. If I'm honest, it is a large part of why I love these. Superficial, I know, but when people come over for dinner, they actually notice and compliment them. You won't get the same reaction with a Wusthof.

Practically, though:

I prefer the D-shaped handles of the Shun. It's comfortable for both the "hammer" and "pinch grip".

The Shuns are literally razor-sharp. These really slice through things quite effortlessly. The angle on the Japanese knives is different than on German steel. If new to Shun, take some time to familiarize yourself with this fact.

The Damascas steel is extremely hard, and these knives are incredibly well-made.

How I simplify the comparison:

The Germans engineer some amazing things, and their cutlery is world-class. There really isn't a task that the Shun does that a Wusthof can't.

It's just that the Shuns do it with such precision and beauty. I am extremely pleased with my set of Shuns and I absolutely consider them an upgrade to their German counterparts.

As with anything of value, take care of them. Always hand wash and never put in the dishwasher; and always store them appropriately. The limited lifetime warranty is great, and Shun offers free knife sharpening (aside from shipping costs).

Save 33% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment