Tom Douglas by Pinzon Wenger 6-Inch Boning Knife

Tom Douglas by Pinzon Wenger 6-Inch Boning KnifeCustomer review from the Amazon Vine Program Alert: I think the main photo being used on this Amazon page is of the wrong knife. The boning knife has a stubbier point than the one in the photo. Or it could be the angle.

My wife is Chinese. She always expresses astonishment that Westerners need more than one knife. That I have a chef's knife, a paring knife, a cleaver, a serrated bread knife, kitchen shears, etc, while she would be happy getting along with the old and true cleaver knife hybrid favored in her culture. She might be right, but I prefer the proper tool for the job.

I could probably use my chef's knife instead of this knife when I needed to debone a piece of meat. I'm not a retail butcher. I go months between having to separate silverskin and bone from meat. And this is not a general purpose knife, it has a stubby point (probably to avoid tearing silverskin or being caught on bone), and a fairly thick blade. Not for chopping celery. It remains in the knife block until I need to do serious butchery.

So the first question to answer on choosing a knife is of frequency. How often will I use a boning knife? If it's less frequently than every couple weeks, I'd say spend your money on a better chef's knife.

The second question. Should I choose this boning knife?

This is a serious instrument for dealing with meat in the large. It is not some dainty pheasant dresser. Just watch the video of Tom Douglas dismembering a leg of lamb. If you are doing large scale barbecues and grillings for large number of guests, then this is a great knife, and will save you time and wasted food. It's sturdy and easily cleaned. It is also stiff which may or may not match your needs; a stiff knife will not jerk around on you causing a cut where you didn't intend, but it's also hard to slip into tight places. It has a thoughtfully designed tip which will slide past bone without catching. And it has an inexpensive looking handle with no cracks to worry about cleaning, and a good grip that can be used in multiple positions. If this sounds right than this is the knife for you.

My wife, who has no respect for finely forged Swiss steel, tells me this knife is great at cutting apart cardboard boxes for recyling. Sorry Pinzon Wenger.

So, I would say this is a quality tool that few people will actually need, but will serve those people well.

I de-bone chicken regularly and have used all sorts of knives for the task. This boning knife, however, not only speeds up the job, but also allows me to save more of the chicken through its precise cutting. Both the size and handle are comfortable to hold.

Buy Tom Douglas by Pinzon Wenger 6-Inch Boning Knife Now

This knife came very sharp out of the box, I gave it a wipe over and went to work on a chicken, it performed as it should. I recommend it.

Read Best Reviews of Tom Douglas by Pinzon Wenger 6-Inch Boning Knife Here

For expert meat cutters and butchers. Not for regular meat cutting tasks in your kitchen. Difficult to hold the knife and the blade gets dull faster than expected. I guess I didn't read full reviews before purchase.

Want Tom Douglas by Pinzon Wenger 6-Inch Boning Knife Discount?

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Program Out of pure necessity, I did the Cutco/Ginzu test on this knife and used it to cut through a rope. It cut it without much pressure from me. I knew right then I would like this knife.

The knife is good and heavy and among the sharpest I have. The blade is thin, which is helpful when cutting meat off the bone cleanly. The grip is sort of a cheap brown plastic looking thing, but it provides a suprisingly nice grip.

It is not an expensive knife either. It is a bargain priced knife with just fantastic quality. It is highly recommended for your boning needs this holiday season.

Save 4% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment