Wusthof Classic 5-Inch Boning Knife

Wusthof Classic 5-Inch Boning KnifeThere are really two main competitors in the high-end mainstream kitchen knife market: Henckels and Wusthof. Those who have used both usually have a preference. My preference (and therefore bias you should know about) is for the Wusthofs.

The Wusthof Classic line is the more conservative counterpart to the Grand Prix line. The only difference, however, is the handle style. I personally prefer the Grand Prix, but this is an issue of personal preference. The balance and grip of these knives are as close to perfect as I have found. For those wondering what benefits a higher priced knife provides, one benefit is that the blade (or tang) is one piece all the way through the handle. This makes the blade much stronger, and less likely to snap.

This particular model, the 5 inch boning knife is a good knife. In my review of the 6 inch cleaver I noted that most people really don't use a cleaver anymore, as they buy either pre-cut/pre-packaged meats, or they have the butcher cut the meat into loins or steaks for them. However, I think this knife is slightly more useful for the everyday cook than the cleaver. I find this knife useful for both boning and fat trimming. Although this knife is probably not essential for a starter collection, I would add this knife before a cleaver.

For what it is, this 5-inch boning knife from Wusthof is fantastic. Note I wrote "for what it is" and not for what it isn't. No, it's not a cleaver. No, it's not a Chicago Cutlery knife, which is a "nice" knife, but see for yourself why it doesn't compare to a Wusthof. Why reviewers compare apples to oranges and claim that you probably won't use various knives is beyond me. Just because THEY don't use a cleaver or a boning knife in the kitchen doesn't mean that rest of us shouldn't. How many more reviews will you remind us of what knives you DON'T use to discourage us from buying them? Weird. That's like complaining that an action movie isn't Shakespeare, and "Will you really read Shakespeare?".... Enough already.

So if you want a flexible boning knife to trim meat, silverskin, fat, or heck, even fillet fish, this 5-incher from Wusthof is just about perfect. I've used the 6-inch version since 1996 and last November I bought this one. What a pleasant surprise! I use it for every trim detail short of turkey prep. Both strong and precise, it delivers as thin a slice as you want. And once again, just because some reviewers never learned to use a cleaver, don't let that scare you from buying this fine boning knife.

Buy Wusthof Classic 5-Inch Boning Knife Now

Part of the portable inheritance for my daughter, but for now, I will use it. I inherited a few knives and am grateful not to have to fill out a full set.

Read Best Reviews of Wusthof Classic 5-Inch Boning Knife Here

I recently purchased this knife, it's well built, arrived quickly and work as expected. I have another 4 Wusthof classic knives and they are very reliable, under heavy use the red logo sticker might come off but then that's after heavy use.

Want Wusthof Classic 5-Inch Boning Knife Discount?

Wusthofs are the best! I bought this for my girfriend who is a chef and she uses it all the time. When she was in culinary school about 15 years ago they gave all the students a roll of Wusthofs that she has kept and we still use everyday in the house or when we cater friend's parties. After 15 years they are still top notch with very little wear. The only reason I needed to buy this for her was we lost it while making dinner at someone elses house...yes, we bring them to other peoples houses if we know they don't have Wusthofs or at least Henkels.

Save 13% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment