Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife

Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher KnifeAs the name implies, this is a butchering knife, and that aint no lie. My father bought 3 of these a few years back, and gave one to me to help him slaughter beef and pigs. Being "old school", my father whetted his knives on the old stones. His technique kinda sucks, so of course they don't get honed into shape like original. Luckily, he was smart enough to purchase a B&D wet wheel grinder that I use with excellent results every time.

The Old Hickory knives my dad bought sit in a drawer and he uses some stainless steel variety with a white plastic handle, honed on a whet stone. It won't even hold an edge long enough to cut thru hot butter. The Old Hickory knife I have keeps a pretty good edge, and even my brother in law was quite impressed with it (he is a fanatic about sharpenining knives). Even after my dad took a hand grinder to my knife (after mistaking it as his...he complained they were "too thick to sharpen"), it still holds an edge and manages to slice right thru a bull hide with ease. I think I'm gonna scarf up those knives and keep them for myself.

I also have the chef knife, and love it too. It also keeps a very good edge and is easy to sharpen. Definitely recommend that too. I used to have a stainless steel version, but got tired of sharpening it every stinkin time I used it.

The only drawback to these knives by Ontario Knife is the hand-washing required. Don't even attempt to put these into the dishwasher unless you like rusty damaged knives. But, like any good tool it requires some care to keep it in good condition. I hand-wash mine and towel-dry them immediately. The Old Hickory knives I have were bought about 8 or 9 years ago, and they have a potential life span of decades.

I'd love to get the entire set of these things for my kitchen. They are easy to sharpen, hold an edge, and have substance to them. Originally was going to give it a 4 star rating for the hand-washing, but instead giving 5 because they are so durable, functional, and fit well in your hand.

I had an older Old Hickory 7" butchers knife and bought this to have an extra. Compared to the old knife, the blade is thinner and there's a slight amount of flex in the blade. This hasn't affected the knifes performance, but it's worth noting if you're looking to replace an older knife. Construction is good all around. The wooden handles and rivets were all cleanly done. My only real complaint is that the knife was fairly dull out of the package and I had to spend an afternoon sharpening it. I understand that the knife comes on a vacuum packed piece of cardboard and they don't want people cutting themselves while it's hanging on the store shelves, but it is an annoyance. It is decent steel though and once you get it sharpened, it holds an edge for a good while. If you're expecting to have a razor sharp edge out of the package, this isn't your knife. As every Old Hickory review has mentioned, it's straight steel. It will rust if you put it in the dish washer or keep it in the sink. All in all, if you don't mind sharpening a new knife and having a non-stainless blade, this is a good knife for a great price.

Buy Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife Now

Good, inexpensive carbon steel. With the proliferation of stainless steel knives, It's only fair to warn you that it should be hand washed and dried, then left out for a final air drying before storing it. I slot mine into the grate above the downdraft fan on my Jenn-Air. A few strokes on a steel before the next ue and it's ready to go again.

Read Best Reviews of Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife Here

My knife came very dull. I spent a good 30 minutes sharping it and getting it into sharp cutting shape. Carbon sttel is great I coat the knife with olive oil after each use. If you want a good cheap carbon steel blade that needs a little work when you first get it this is for you.

Want Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife Discount?

A good full tang piece of carbon steel. You have to get or make your own sheath but it's worth it. The blade is fairly thin but still thicker than a mora # 1 and most kitchen knives so its good enough for bush craft and survival use.

Save 26% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment