Kasumi 88024 - 10 inch Chef's Knife

Kasumi 88024 - 10 inch Chef's KnifeThis was the 3rd Kasumi knife I purchased. I first had a pairing and 7 in santoku. I bought both of these after using my girlfriend's wusthof versions of the same for 2 years. I would keep them sharp for her and honstely, wusthof makes some good knives. When I decided to go with my own i knew i wanted some damascus steel blades, and after a few weeks of research decided on the kasumi brand. I couldn't be happier.

The knives are beautiful. The pattern in the blade from the folding of the steel is lovely. The dark wood handle feels secure and is well balanced. It's symmetric so works equally well for right and left handed people (has a 50/50 bevel on the blade as well which a lot of Japanese knives do not have). The 10in blade is long enough to cover most of my cutting board so running through a stack of cabbage or spinach is about a 3 second task now.

All your prep work will just be easier with this knife. If you keep it sharp (which is really easy to do) it slices through anything you want to throw at it, tomatoes are just fun with this knife.

I find sharpening knives on a whetstone to be a relaxing activity, and the downside of this knife is that it almost never needs sharpening. The steel is folded over 33 times resulting that only the middle layer is used for cutting and it is some of the highest quality knife steel you can buy. I had a 600/1000 combo whetstone, but i switched to a 1000/8000 grade to keep these knives sharp enough to shave with (literally as i test on my arm hair and leave little bald patches which always annoys the girlfriend).

It's a purchase that will last as long as you care for it. I think it's a beautiful addition to any kitchen.

This is the knife I use most out of all my knives. He's a good all-around size and it keeps a really sharp edge for a long time.

I first bought a fine enough stone to sharpen it this month and I've had it for 5 months, and I work almost every day.

I also just purchased the Santoku-knife for vegetable cutting because I like the size and angle of the blade... the first cut when I took it out of the box was like a beautiful sound of music. Also a great knife.

I have a pair of Masahiro Virgin Carbon knifes and they are extremely sharp as well, but hold their edge for a short period, are more fragile and need extra attention. But the Kasumi's are hard-solid steel with a firm grip handle and seem indistructible with these Damascus-stripes along the blade, a much preferred choice for the pro-kitchen worker.

I also have a set of Global-knives and in comparison, they are cheaper and are fairly easy to sharpen but they also have a small grip that does not suit my scandinavian hands at all and after some lengthy, repetitive work with the Global I start getting blisters.

So these knives get 5 out of 5 for handling, sharpness, durability, looks AND price, for you could pay more money for lesser blades.

Highly recommended!

Buy Kasumi 88024 - 10 inch Chef's Knife Now

This knife will slice through a tomato that is so soft it is almost rotten. It holds an edge for a long time and what an edge!

Read Best Reviews of Kasumi 88024 - 10 inch Chef's Knife Here

I'm in no way a chef, just a husband and father that spends many evenings in the kitchen making dinner. I love this knife.

I had been looking for about a year for a new knife. I had another, much cheaper, knife that I thought would be all I needed. I had registered for that one when I got married and didn't know much about cutlery. After a bunch of research reading 100's of reviews, watching Youtube videos, finding out what professional chefs use, feeling different types in my hands, I decided that I wanted a Japanese made knife over a German made.

I've had my Kasumi for about a month now and it's amazing. Prepping dinner is so much quicker than it was with my $50 knife. It cuts through tomatoes like butter. Even though it's quite long, it's not heavy. I love using it. The box that it came in was nice enough that I use it to store the knife when not in use.

I haven't had to sharpen it yet, but when that time comes I'll be buying a high quality whet stone as recommended.

Want Kasumi 88024 - 10 inch Chef's Knife Discount?

I enjoy cooking, its not as serious for me as music, but I find that its great way to relax after a long day in the studio or on the floor, that said, lets talk about this knife.

I went looking for a good chef's knife a while ago. I had gotten fed up with the cheaper chef knives sold in sets or as a stand-alone in the kitchen sections of department stores. So I went to my local Kitchen Supply store, which is geared more towards restaurants than for the home cook, I went to go and actually feel the knives and use the demo knives they had available. After trying several top quality blades from well known brand names *Cough: Henkles, Shun, Messermeister, etc* I picked up this one. It was the last one they had and they no longer carry Kasumi products due to demand. A few onions and tomatoes later, I was hooked. The round handle was disconcerting at first for the first couple cuts, but my hand quickly adapted to it and now it feels more comfortable than any of my other knives.

The Damascus Steel VG-10 blade cuts better than any other knife I have, and has redefined sharp for me. Despite not having a bolster on the heel, it is quite sturdy even for the chopping I do with it, and it still feels comfortable in my hand and I have assurance and peace of mind that my fingers wont slip off the handle. This knife has stood the test of my kitchen (not sure how amazing that is since I'm not a pro) and has taken pretty much everything I throw at it. It slices, it dices, I even use it for pairing and coring!

So if this knife is so amazing, why did I give it 4 stars instead of 5?

Simple:

It takes forever to sharpen.

Seriously, it does. A good steel hone helps maintain the edge, but when it comes time to sharpen this knife, I start with a 300 grit stone and work all the way up to a 5000 grit. It takes a good hour at least for me to do it right. Fortunately I have only had to sharpen it once in the last year and abit that I have owned this knife.

The Kitchen supply company gave me a deal on this knife. They sold it to me at cost for them just to get rid of it.

So if you are looking for a good quality kitchen knife that you will have for the rest of your life and use every day, I would suggest taking a look at this knife.

******IMPORTANT******

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU FIND A RESTAURANT OR KITCHEN SUPPLY STORE AND "TEST DRIVE" THEIR DEMO KNIVES PRIOR TO SPENDING $100+ ON A KITCHEN KNIFE.

Save $0.05 Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment